Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Taking the Good with the Bad

The Good:
It's Spring Break and it's almost like I'm a stay-at-home mom. Monday I baked a cake from scratch, went grocery shopping, made dinner, and did all of the laundry. It was awesome to have all day to complete all of those tasks and not feel rushed or tired. It's like I'm living out my best dream.
The Bad:
The weather is icky. It's icky enough that Dave has declared that next year we are going somewhere warm for Spring Break. YAY!
The Good:
My hyperthyroid has returned to near normal status. And while the thyroid nodule is still there, the endo PA thinks 6 month repeat lab work and a yearly ultrasound are good enough as long as I don't start having symptoms.
The Bad:
Because I do run a little "hot" because of my thyroid, the PA said that I will be at greater risk for heat intolerance, especially when exercising. Yeah, well tell me something I don't already know. Still, it's a bummer because that does put a damper on doing longer triathlons or running a summer marathon.
The Good:
Carson got his braces off today!

Isn't he a handsome boy?!

The Bad:

He hates his retainers! He is convinced that they are "ruining [his] teeth". I told him to give it until Thursday and if they are still irritating him, I'll call the ortho.

The Good:

The derm PA was hilarious. He was so great as he was torturing (I mean treating) the kids' warts. Both kids didn't even squirm as he froze the warts (which is way better than I did when I had a wart frozen years ago. I practically jumped off the table and shouted "That's enough" before the doctor even counted to 10). The PA was also did a nice job with my skin biopsy. I hardly even felt the poke for the numbing medicine, he was that careful.

The Bad:

Having my kids in the exam room as the PA was telling me that the area he was biopsying looked very suspicious for basal cell carcinoma. Maybe those words went right over their heads, and I know that basal cell carcinoma isn't really a big deal, but I didn't want them there to hear I might have skin cancer. I'm more worried about what they thought hearing those words then I am about the actual results of the biopsy.

1 comment:

jessica said...

I don't care who you are or how old you are those words sound scary! Especially when used with biopsy! I hope you will share how it goes...till then I will be worried for you!