Tuesday, April 12, 2011

How to Make a Gluten-free Wrap (sorry, I didn't make my own tortillas for this)

Eating gluten-free pretty much stinks around lunchtime. I can't just grab a quick drive-thru something-or-other on my way to the next school. I get tired of eating yogurt, salad, cheesestick, or other "side dish items" (as my husband calls them) for lunch. Sometimes I really must miss a really good sandwhich on a good crusty artisan bread. In case you don't know, gluten-free bread is gross. I've tried several brands and I have yet to find one that really satifies.

Anyway, today was one of those days when I was yearning for something more than yogurt mixed with dry oatmeal. I only get 30 minutes for lunch so it had to be quick, too (quickness of preparation is often why I wind up eating yogurt mixed with dry oatmeal for lunch). I wanted something that would also taste good, unlike yogurt mixed with dry oatmeal.

This is what I came up with...a gluten-free veggie wrap.
Here's how to make it...
Gather your ingredients. Today mine included hummus (wish I had read the homemade hummus post earlier); red bell pepper, broccoli, cauliflower and white corn tortillas.

Slice up the red bell pepper. Cut up the broccoli and cauliflower into little bites.

Warm the tortillas in the microwave for about 30 seconds.

Spread a generous amount of hummus on 1/2 of the tortilla
Next, add you chopped veggies on top of your hummus. Fold the tortilla in half like a taco and enjoy.

Other gluten-free options that would have been great with this wrap
  • quinoa--my favorite way to cook this is just as if I was making rice, but I add about 3 TBSP of agave nectar to the water.
  • brown rice
  • feta cheese

6 comments:

Suzanne said...

Oh, that looks so yummy!! Even for those who don't have to worry about gluten, this is an amazing way to get a really good serving of vegetables. Mmmmmmmmmmmm... because salad can get old, too! Thanks for sharing this.

crystal said...

Yummy! This is going on next week's lunch menu!

Christie said...

YUM! I am so making this. It looks so good!

Maggie said...

Charlotte saw these photos and said, "Mmm! Can we get some bell peppers to snack on?" I guess it's time I started to invest in the veggies again.

Juli said...

Yummy!

Also GF since 2007, my favorites are the brown rice wraps in the freezer section of the grocery store.

I make breakfast burritos all the time. :)

FYI...Udi's white sandwich bread is a winner in this house, and Sami's bread (order online Samisbakery.com) is a favorite with Yongest.

Donna said...

Looks good!!
Have you tried sprouted grain bread? You can get it at Trader Joe's and from health food stores. I hope that helps??
Thanks for sharing. I didn't know you could buy gluten-free tortillas.