Friday, April 29, 2011

Wedding, Ants, and Other Stuff

I have been enthralled with the events/media coverage leading up to the Royal Wedding. The scenes and coverage took me back to my childhood when I, along with many others in the world, watched Lady Diana Spencer wed Prince Charles. To a not-quite 10 year old girl, it was such a fairy tale. This wedding seemed even more so of a beautiful fairy tale as "commoner", Kate, wed a prince. Her dress was stunning. It reminded me of something that perhaps Maid Marian from Robin Hood might have worn. It was so simple and elegant. The kiss on the balcony (the only part I saw live--I did not get up at 1 a.m. to watch the whole thing) was so fun and just about perfect.

And now back to my real life. With the increase in outside temperature, even though it has been slight, many creatures big and small have reappeared. I love seeing the ground hogs chasing each other behind my house. Going to sleep listening to the frogs croak in the pond is sweet. But I do NOT love the little ants that have decided to invade my house. Fortunately, they have kept mostly to the laundry room and entry area from the garage. Still, I think it is so gross. Carson is having a wonderful time smashing them all and I'm sure he will be disappointed when the bug guy comes on Monday. I, however, am looking forward to the bug guy coming and ridding my house of these little creatures.

Not being able to run is driving me nuts (and Josie, too). I never thought I would say that I miss running, but I do. I'm looking forward to seeing the doctor next Tuesday. I'm hoping it will be good news on Tuesday and I will get the all clear.

Finally, I'm teaching RS on Sunday and the lesson is on strengthening marriages. I've been all over the map with thoughts for this lesson. Mostly I'm not looking forward to teaching it because everyone's lived experience is so different--widows, single, divorced, unhappily married, happily married, with kids, without kids, SAHM, working mom,etc. How do you teach to that kind of diversity? I'm thinking about focusing on charity, even though we just had a lesson last week on charity. And I'm thinking about talking about common stumbling blocks in all relationships and how to improve/get over those stumbling blocks. Believe me when I say that a lot of prayer and study has gone into the preparation of this lesson. This is one of those times when teaching by the Spirit is going be an absolute necessity. I usually don't worry about teaching, but this one is hard for me. Any suggestions? What would you love to hear in a RS lesson about strengthening marriage? What would you really not want to hear?

4 comments:

Mom said...

one thing that helps me through difficult spots is to remember that my covenants are with not only my husband but also with my Heavenly Father. My marriage is apart from my self and needs to be more important than my own view. Mark 8:35-36, as well as the story of Ruth are guidelines that can strengthen a marriage. There are still things I choose not to do because they would put a stress on the marriage and our time together. A marriage needs selflessness (on both parts) to grow - and it should always be growing.
As for things we don't want to hear - those are often the very things we need to hear.

Mom said...

PS Your wedding was the stuff dreams were made of for some little girls in Aberdeen - does not seem like almost 21 years ago.

jessica said...

Aric and I just finished a six week marriage course taught by a friend of ours who is a marriage counselor. We went for two hours each Sunday during Sunday School and RS. It was AWESOME!!!! What I loved about it was how it made me acknowledge my strengths and weaknesses and the part they play in the success of my marriage. Being in a happy marriage is a choice. I choose what I do contribute to it and I what I do to weaken it. It helps in the relationships with my kids and extended family. Good Luck! You will do great!

On another note...what days/times are you at LLES?

Maggie said...

Charlotte saw your blog and said, "Momma! That blog kinda looks like pinkalicous."