Saturday, April 23, 2011

Make New Friends, Keep the Old

Running has given me an opportunity to become friends with many different people. Matter of fact, some of my best friends are those who I have either run with in the past or am currently running with. I think getting up before the sun to meet someone for a run work-out shows a certain level of dedication and loyalty that I haven't experienced in many other areas. We sweat, we groan, we share, we laugh...heck, when I'm running I even become pretty good at creating small talk. It's wonderful.

But sometimes I get nervous about expanding that circle of running friends (or cirlce of friends, in general). Not because I think I'm some superior runner (or person). No, matter-of-fact, I worry a lot about not being good enough. I also worry about saying something stupid--sometimes my social filter doesn't work so great. Making friends has never been super easy for me. The running friends I do have are because someone else made the first invitation.

So I was quite surprised when I found myself dialing the phone on Friday morning to invite a casual friend & her group to join Marla and I for today's run. This gal had mentioned at our Friday boot camp class that her group was down to just 3 for today's run because other members had various committments that would keep them from joining in the fun. I thought about what she had said on my way home and as I was getting ready for work. I thought about how I had been looking for opportunities to run with their group so I could get to know this great group of ladies better. I must have picked up the phone 3 different times to place the phone call & then hung it right back up before I could even punch in the numbers. Finally, I just bit the bullet and dialed. And I'm ashamed to admit that I was relieved when the answering machine picked up and I only had to leave a message.

The gal called me back that afternoon and said she was glad that I had called. She thought that expanding the group for today's run would be a good thing. So we set up the meeting time and place for this morning and that was that.

Today's run was wonderful. It was great to meet someone new (2 of the ladies I already knew). It was fun to show them a route that they had not run before. But most of all, it was fun to get that opportunity to get to know them all a little better. I hope that we will all be able to run together again soon.

PS A shout out to one member of the group who did her first 12-miler today. She did amazing. She looked strong the whole way & kept up a really good pace.

1 comment:

jessica said...

Yes...I heard about this awesome run and I am so jealous that I wasn't a part of it!!! I would love to run with you!