Tuesday, April 19, 2011

How To: Spot Basal Cell Carcinoma

At 39 years old, I find myself facing treatment for a cancer that is pretty much preventable. Of course, the prevention had to occur years ago to be of benefit now; but as a preteen and teen, heck even a 20 & 30-something, I was much too vain and worried about getting that "healthy glow" to seriously consider the consequences. I poo-pooed the warnings about too much sun exposure. I didn't believe it could ever happen to me.

But it did--basal cell carcinoma, that is. Now I am on a one-woman mission to educate the masses about basal cell carcinoma. This cancer used to be seen mostly in elderly men; however, my age group (35-45) and gender are seeing significant increase in basal cell carcinoma. What's the big deal about that since it is treatable, doesn't metastasize, and is not life-threatening? Here's the big deal. Basal cell carcinoma can be disfiguring. It can recur again in the same treated area and once you have one, you'll probably get more, just in different locations (already happened to me). There also happens to be a form called morpheus basal cell carcinoma that can be quite invasive. And if those things are not a big enough deal, basal cell carcinoma can increase your chances of developing melanoma, which can metastasize and be life-threatening.

So, what to do? First assess your risk. And in my best attempt at channelling Jeff Foxworthy, here is my list of "You Might be at Risk"
  • If you think the Oompa-Loompa's and Snookie are role models for tan skin, you might be at risk.
  • If your definition of "SPF" is baby oil without idodine, you might be at risk.
  • If you have a loyalty rewards card for the tanning salon, you might be at risk.
  • If you think the hours between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. are the best hours to be in the sun, you might be at risk.
  • If you have blond hair, blue eyes, and relatively fair skin, you might be at risk. This also pertains to those fair-skinned, green-eyed redheads.
  • And finally, if you think there is such thing as a "healthy tan", you are probably at risk for getting basal cell carcinoma.
Now that you have assessed your risk, get out the mirror and become obsessive about checking over your skin. The Skin Cancer Foundation has some great pictures showing basal cell carcinomas.

Mine that was biopsied wasn't exactly classic because it wasn't ever an open sore or area that just didn't appear to heal. It did, however, definitely have a waxy or pearly white appearance

Look carefully at the side of my nose and you will see a little white dot--that's the cancer.


Another closer-up view of the cancer--it is about mid-frame. If I were a better graphics person I would have drawns arrows, but I don't know how.

If you notice something, make an appointment with a dermatologist. Of course, start with your primary healthcare provider first, if that is what your insurance company requires. But get checked out. And if you have a bump that looks like mine and the doctor tells you it is "sebaceous hyperplasia", don't wait 10 months to get it biopsied. Insist that they do it right then.

I've learned my lesson. This up-coming trip to Florida and this summer are going to be hard as I learn to adopt a new lifestyle. A lifestyle that will go from religious sun-worship with minimal SPF to a more conservative approach to enjoy the sun; I'll be wearing a hat, SPF 50 (gasp), and probably more long-sleeves. But hey, I figure if I can learn to eat gluten-free and make that lifestyle change out of necessity, I can also make this lifestyle change out of necessity.

Finally, please spread the word about basal cell carcinoma and its increasing rates, particularly in the 20-40 age group. Encourage SPF wearing among your teen-agers. And for heaven's sakes, do NOT let teen-agers use tanning beds! England just passed regulations prohibiting use by those younger than 18.

7 comments:

Donna said...

Wow, I've heard the warnings before but never known anyone to have this happen to them. Thanks for the info.. I also read an interesting book about cancer called, The China Study, and found it very interesting. You might, too. All the best and thanks again!

Suzanne said...

I know this must be really hard to go through. Thank you for passing on your information! This is important stuff, people need to know. Thank you! And hugs to you.

jessica said...

I've been waiting for your follow up!!! I am so glad you did this post. I am so sorry you have to go through this trial. Thank heavens you had it biopsied when you did! I will spread the word...you are awesome Heather!

Christie said...

This is the best post anyone could have done. I think it's so important. In my teen years, I was the girl in the back yard with the baby oil. Now? I'm the mom in the big hat hiding under the umbrella. I just hope I'm not too late. I'm so sorry for you! Thank you for sharing.

Cares and Mimi said...

Thank you for sharing. We all need to hear this again and again. I'm so sorry that you're going through this - Cares

Heather said...

This is bittersweet.... I'm sorry you've had to deal with this, but I'm glad I found this blog. I've had a recurring skin problem for about a year now that at first I thought was acne due to stress, but then I noticed the "acne" kept recurring in the exact same spots. I'm diabetic and have a million medical issues to attend to so getting to a dermatologist wasn't high on my list opf priorities. But I began looking online to try to figure out what this might be and how to deal with it. a couple months ago I read about basal cell carcinoma, but there were no pictures, so I wrote it down with a list of possible suspects meaning to look more into it later. I've been very sick lately though and didn't get around to looking for pictures until tonight. All of the pictures appear to be of very severe cases and I was about to cross BCC off my list until I saw your blog and looked at the pictures you posted and realised it's still my number one prospect. Thanks!

Unknown said...

I have a similar spot that was removed about 10 years ago. It has returned;(.
Did you have your removed with Mohs surgery? Can you send me photos of after that. I am so nervous that I will have a big scar