Thursday, April 7, 2011

I Was So Mad (But Now I Laugh)

Remember this boy?

This kid is generally a great kid and I love him a lot, but sometimes...oh sometimes! He knows how to push my buttons. He also tends to act on emotion before fully engaging the reasoning part of his brain.

Remember how I told you how he was sure that the retainers were ruining his teeth? And, remember how I asked him to give it until Thursday and if they were still bothering him I would call the orthodontist?

Well yesterday I heard nothing but how the top retainer didn't fit and it was pulling his teeth backwards. My response every time was, "Give it until Thursday."

So when he came downstairs yesterday afternoon and told me that the top retainer was feeling better and he didn't need to go back tot he orthodontist, I should have been suspicious.

Instead, I was relieved that the drama was over. Oh I should have known better. I told him, "See, I knew you just needed to get used to them."

To which he replied something like this, "Yeah, well, I just fixed the problem."

"What do you mean you 'fixed the problem'?" I cautiously replied back as warning bells and red flags were setting the mom radar off like crazy.

"I just trimmed it to fit my teeth," was his nonchalant reply.

Now with blood boiling and steam getting ready to shoot out my ears, I tried to remain cool and collected in my response back. "Okay, what do you mean you trimmed it?"

"I just cut it into a couple of pieces so it would fit my teeth. Do you want to see it?"

Shielding my eyes and laughing so I didn't kill him, I said, "No. I can't even look. I am so angry with you right now." Fortunately, someone came to the door just at that moment and the boy was literally saved by the bell.

I know the boy was just acting out of frustration. I get that. But really? Why couldn't the reasoning and good judgment portion of his brain win as he was debating with himself about his proposed "fix"? He said he knew that what he was doing was probably not the best idea, but he did it anyway. Even though he knew that he would be paying for the replacement.

Yesterday I laughed to cover my anger. Today I laugh because I realize the incident makes a great story and something memories are made of.

1 comment:

Mom said...

If he has the same kind of retainers that Katelyn had, they are probably "active"- meaning that they are putting some pressure on the teeth to settle them into theie final position. Perhaps that was not adequately explained to him - or he didn't really listen to what it meant. Still, shouldn't trim retainers. Tell him Dan wore his for YEARS after his braces came off, and you don't want to have to report him to the "braces police" - Grandpa Lee.