Monday, August 1, 2011

Lowering the Rope and Bringing It Back Up

I'm teaching in Relief Society next Sunday. I've known for about a month that I would be teaching so I have been thinking about teaching topics. A few weeks ago I was reading an article in the Ensign. The article was about Christ as the Living Water and drinking deeply from the His well.

As I was reading, this paragraph hit me like a ton of bricks...

I wonder if we who get clean water from taps in our homes
sometimes expect to come to Christ with the same ease
as turning a knob to get a glass of water.

I must have reread that particular paragraph 3 or 4 times as I thought about how that applies to my life. I pictured the living water in the bottom of a well. Reading scriptures, attending my meetings, praying, etc. are the things that lower the bucket to the water, but what must I do to get the bucket back up so I can partake of the water? Hefting the rope back up takes work and I think that is what that particular paragraph was saying to me.

I spent my devotional time at Young Women's Camp contemplating the work that I must do to get the bucket back up. Reading scriptures, attending meetings and praying are all relatively easy for me, and while important, are not necessarily enough to  allow me to feel fully filled by Christ. My work is going to include such things as being more grateful for all of my blessings and expressing that gratitude more often; continuing to discover and develop those talents that my Heavenly Father has blessed me with and using those talents to glorify God (Matthew 5:16); continuing to serve; finding and expressing charity (1 Corinthians 13: 4-7); and giving away all my sins to know God (Alma 22:18).

As the last item, giving away all my sins, came into my mind I really stopped to think about that. I know there are things I hold on to just because they are easy and familar and sometimes change is hard. It's easy to be sarcastic. Sometimes it's easier to hold onto the belief that I am right rather than apologize and move on. Oh, there are so many more, but those are two are the only ones I choose to admit to right now.

So, what do you think? Will this make a good Relief Society Lesson?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not only does it make a great Relief Society lesson, it makes a great life lesson for all of us. You reminded your dad of the importance of pulling up the rope daily in order to drink of the living waters.'
Love you, bugs