Monday, August 22, 2011

Trying Not to Fail at Parenting

OK, Mom and Dad, you can now rest comfortably knowing that what goes around does indeed come around. This week has been a rough week with one particular teen-ager. I'm pretty sure she thinks I'm trying to ruin her life. The other night she asked when we were going to cut the leash that we have on her.

Then yesterday on the way home from church we were having the same tired conversation we have had all week and she said to me "Do you even know what it is to be a teen-ager?" I guess she figured I had just somehow skipped from 12 to 20, missing all of those years in between. The problem is that I remember quite well what it is to be a teen-ager and the realities of being a teen-ager so of course that knowledge/memories will be employed while parenting of teen-agers.

But just to make sure that I'm not being overly harsh and a total kill joy, I'll ask for your opinion on the situation. Would you let your teen-age daughter go with several friends (boys and girls) to Leavenworth for a tubing trip? There will be no parents going so the kids will be driving themselves in one car, maybe 2 depending on the number of kids going. It's a four hour drive with much of it on a 2-lane highway.

I'm sure you can probably guess what our answer was since the teen-ager is accusing of us of keeping her on a leash. And she is mad that we have been completely unapologetic about our answer.

6 comments:

Maggie said...

Wow I'm glad that I don't have to deal with that question this week. Good luck!

Mom said...

We agree - to quote your father "No way, Jose." Just the driving part would be enough to say "No." There are closer places to tube & there have too many river deaths this year for an unsupervised trip.
Sorry, Kate. Even your grandpa remembers being a teenager & he says your mom & dad are right.

Anonymous said...

If she were asking to tube the Spokane I might think you were being a little harsh. After all, I can remember several trips down the Wynoochee with Andersons, Kilgores and several other kids from school that were unattended by any adults (Rug and I were the oldest ones there and did all of the driving). There were also a lot of mixed group trips to the beach. But, the whole 4hr drive thing kind of kills it.

Nate

Anonymous said...

Seriously, the drive isn't that bad, the girl who will be driving is very responsible and has driven that road before. Plus she has also driven the group that's going (if I were to go it would be a total of 3) many times before, and nothing has happened. I don't understand why the whole time thing is an issue. She doesn't blast the music and doesn't she speed. There is really nothing to be worried about.

Jenny said...

If it were my kid, I would definitely say no. And I remember being a teenager REALLY well!

Jenny said...

oops I meant to say because I remember being a teenager really well, I would say no