Wednesday, August 17, 2011

It's Only a Little More Than a Mile

A funny thing happens to one's sense of distance when one routinely runs distances greater than 5 miles. Your sense of what is far and not far changes. What once seemed far and impossible, now is short and totally doable. That's what I noticed today.

This afternoon I had a Relief Society presidency meeting. The meeting was at the secretary's house. Her house is only a little over a mile away from my house. I had been driving around all morning doing errands and the last thing I wanted to do was get back in the truck and drive to her house. So I decided to walk.

It felt good to walk. As I was walking, I thought about how my perspective about distances had changed. A few years ago, a mile would have seemed far. Now? Just a short little 20 minute walk.

While I was walking I wondered if the pioneers had the same type of shift in perspective and that is how they were able to walk and walk and walk each day. And then I wondered if it was really hard to get going on Monday and Monday's miles seemed much harder than the rest of the weeks?

No comments: