Thursday, August 18, 2011

Wow, That Was Totally Inappropriate

Dave wrestled in college. He spent a lot of time at the gym and athletic training room. Dave was also pretty bad at reading flirting or come-ons. He was hit on A LOT by girls who were working in the training room. Dave would come home at least twice a week telling me about another girl who had asked him out. I would often laugh as he was recounting the conversation because it was pretty clear how clueless he was that the girl was working up to asking him out. It never bothered me that he would come home with these stories.

However, today Dave came home with a story that really got my hackles up. Apparently at his place of employment there is a group of ladies who often make comments about how the guys dress, how they look, the guys' bodies, etc. Now I suppose if they kept their comments to themselves I would give them a pass, but today they totally crossed the line.

Dave's recounting of the incident goes something like this. He walked in to the area where these ladies work to discuss some work situation with one of them. As he approaches the ladies hush their voices and start to laugh. Dave asked what was so funny. One of the ladies said "Nothing. We were just wondering if we rubbed your stomach could we feel ripples?" Dave said "You will never find out." He also told them that their question was not appropriate.

Dave was totally taken aback by these ladies brashness. I think he must have spent all day worrying that the shirt he wore today was too tight because almost immediately upon walking in the door tonight he said to me, "Is this shirt too tight?" I almost didn't take his question seriously because I don't think David owns any shirts that would be classified as "tight". But I assured him that the shirt was not tight and then I told him that the ladies were way out of line for saying something like that to him.

So while my husband getting asked out on a date might have been funny when we were in college (disclaimer: David never wore his wedding ring in the gym or training room so the girls didn't know he was married), having a group of ladies now asking to rub my husband's stomach is not only not humorous, it is inappropriate and offensive.

What happened to boundaries and common decency?

1 comment:

Mom said...

Yeah, they started to slip years ago. Somehow the "No Limits" idea has morphed into "anything goes" for far too many. The "ladies" (and I use the term loosely) had better be a little more aware - sexual harassment goes both ways & HR might have something to say about their behavior. I'm sure Dave was appalled.