Saturday, July 30, 2011

Happy Birthday, Boy

Dear Carson,

Today you turn 15. I can hardly believe that 15 years has passed by so quickly. I'm sure I will say that last part every year-- "I can't believe (insert year) has passed by so quickly."

Having you as a member as our family has been a true blessing. Your quirky sense of humor has provided many stories that will live on for years and years. Your questioning nature, while at times frustrating for parents, will serve you well as you learn and grow. I just caution you to always be mindful of the Holy Ghost and continually pray to our Heavenly Father as you are seeking for answers and understanding.

Yellowstone, July 2011
You spent this last week in Yellowstone with your dad and Grandpa Graham. I can tell that your love cupboard was filled during this last week as you got to spend quality time with those two. How can I tell? Because your eyes were bright and your wonderful smile was on your face all night. I was also able to tease you a little about all of the cute girls I met while I was at Girl's Camp and how I could fix you up at the next stake dance. We'll try to keep that cupboard filled so we can enjoy your smile and laugh.

You are a hard worker, even though sometimes it takes a little pushing to get you going. Learning to work hard is an important life skill and will be necessary as you venture out on your own. Your father is a wonderful example of a hard worker. Watch and learn from him. You will learn from him that you can work hard but also play hard once the work is done. Learn to apply that work ethic not just to physical labor but also to your schooling.

Work on strengthening your relationship with your sister. When you were younger, you two were very close. When we would visit Grandpa Lee and Grandma Flo, the two of you would play together all day in the lake. Grandma Flo often commented on how wonderful it was that you two were such great friends. I know that as you get older it is easy to drift apart as you each become involved in your own activities and find other friends. I get that. But I would still encourage you to take the time to find out what fills her love cupboard so that you can find that friendship once again. (Yes, of course, I will give this same advice to your sister, but today this letter is to you.)

I love you, Boy. I love being your mom.

Love,
Mom

No comments: