Monday, August 8, 2011

I Wonder if I Need a High Sodium Diet

Saturday morning I tried to run 8 miles with a group of friends. I prefer to run early (5 a.m.) before it gets too hot. These ladies balk at the thought of running before 7, particularly on a Saturday. I really wanted to run with them because I think they're pretty cool and we had to discuss my recent post on the VLC. So, even though it was pushing the high 60's on Saturday morning, I joined them.

I prepared well that morning, getting up early to make sure I had taken in enough fluids. This included 4 oz of water at about 2 hours before the run and then 8 oz of electrolyte drink 1 hour before the run. Fifteen minutes before I ran, I took 2 Shot Bloks. I also took a gu with me on the run along with the electrolyte drink. I'm not sure what else I should have done to prepare and care for myself on the run.

I didn't wear my Garmin (oh yeah, I got a new one for my birthday) so I'm not sure what our pace was. I do know that we were able to have a good discussion about the VLC as well as talking to kids about sex. I was really enjoying being with these ladies. Nevertheless, I'm guessing it was about mile 4 when I started to notice auras in front of my eyes. The next mile or so included chills, decreased sweating, tingling in my hands, and occassional dizziness. It was probably around mile 6 when I sent the ladies on their way and I finished the last mile and 3/4 on my own alternating running with walking.

You have no idea how frustrating this is for me! I'm a good runner, but add a little heat and I crumble. My body just can't do it and I feel like a complete wimpy idiot. As I was finishing the run, I was thinking about what else I could do and about how badly I had to pee. The fact that my body was telling me I had to pee was frustrating because, as far as I was concerned, there shouldn't have been any fluid left in my body with how crappy my run was going. And no, this sense of full bladder had nothing to do with having a couple of kids and now being 40. I had to stop at the Athletic Club so I could use the bathroom. Warning: TMI to follow. My urine was almost completely clear and it wasn't just a couple of drops.

That made no sense to me so I got to wondering if I lose too much sodium through my sweat (I look like I'm frosted before I'm done running) and if that sodium loss interferes with my body's ability to use the water that I do take in. If water is supposed to be used to aid in cooling, and my body isn't using it efficiently, maybe that is why I can't tolerate the heat. I don't even know if that makes sense. I also wonder if my spongey kidney impacts this whole sodium/water balance.

While running, I realized that this isn't the first time that I have had the full bladder issue during a run. But interestingly enough, it only occurs during the runs where the temp is greater than 60 degrees and I feel too hot. That is what started me thinking about the water/sodium balance. I meant to write that with the original post, but hit "publish" before I typed it.

4 comments:

Mom said...

Might be time to call Dr. Nelson about that or get a referal to a nephrologist (Dr. Wickre will put you through every test known to doctorkind to try & sort it out from my experience.)I'll check with Bob on Wed, too - he trains alot of summer athletes. You looked OK by time we saw you at the marlet - if that helps.

jessica said...

Oh how I wish I could get up and do a 5am run with you!!!! I so appreciate you waiting to run with me/us. I love running with you and your insights are awesome. I had no idea you were struggling so much! I hated leaving you behind :( The heat got to me at 7.5 and I had to walk too.

Anonymous said...

You know dad's opinion- but, that being said, preloading with mineral drink and salt tablet might not be a bad idea.
Or you could check with someone who knows- like Dr. Wickre
Love you

Mom (&Bob) said...

Bob suggested that you eat 6oz of beef jerky a day & having some of it before you run will add salt to your diet without things tasting "salty". He says they always watch their smaller athletes carefully in distance workoutsbecasue it's so easy for them to get salt-depleted.