Friday, February 25, 2011

I've Always Loved Mary

(Image from picsearch)
I don't remember the first time that I saw the Disney version of Mary Poppins, but I do remember falling in love with the the character and the songs. Mary Poppins must have filled a gap that I felt was present at the time. Maybe I saw it during a time when I needed to remember "...and snap! The job's a game." Or maybe I saw it when I needed to remember that even when dads are super busy, they always love their children. Or maybe I saw it when I needed to learn to laugh and be happy. Perhaps, I saw it at a time when I didn't feel extra special at all and I needed to learn a fancy new word. Or just maybe, I needed to learn that all of God's creatures, even birds, deserved to be loved. Like I said, the exact date, time and place of my first viewing of Mary Poppins is a blur. But the messages and lessons that I learned from the movie are quite clear. It's taken me a long time to apply the lessons, but just maybe I don't need Mary Poppins so much anymore. I have developed a love of work. I now understand that sometimes it just takes some dads a little longer to realize what they are missing and how important their kids are--and it's OK to be patient while they figure that out. I've definitely learned to laugh. I know now that fancy words don't make you special, but sometimes they are just plain fun to say. And birds? I guess I still need Mary because I don't like birds one bit.

1 comment:

Mom said...

And yet, Katelyn has always loved birds - remember how she would gather up the chickens and other birds and pass them out to other children at petting zoos?