Saturday, February 26, 2011

I Love Teen-agers

Katelyn and Carson make it pretty easy to love them. But I wasn't so sure that I would ever get to this point when thinking about middle school students. Middle school is such an awkward time. Hormones are really starting to kick in. I think this causes the middle school-aged child's brain to turn to mush pretty regularly. This makes it tricky when talking to them, because you aren't always sure which planet they are living on at that moment. This is also the time when they are starting to develop more independence from mom, dad, and teachers. And even though they really crave this independence, I think they are a little scared of it at the same time and aren't quite sure what to do about it. Friends are becoming increasingly important to them and this can lead to issues as they try out their new independence by showing off for friends. Things that they would have never tried a few years earlier--even simple, disrespectul behavior--suddenly becomes alluring and warrants at least one try. But I love them, nonetheless. I love them in spite of their awkwardness. I love them in spite of their behavior that is just daring me to love them. I love them because sometimes I know what their home life is like and I know they need the love. I love them because I'm starting to see that Heavenly Father put me in my job to love and care for those teen-agers who need it. I love them because there were people who loved me when I was their age.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Your sister is not so sure she is going to survive the middle school years with her teenager-