Sunday, February 20, 2011

I Love Work

I love work. I'm not talking about my place of employment. I am talking about the kind of work that makes me stretch, flex, learn, grow, and bend. The kind of work that sometimes leaves me feeling exhausted. Sometimes, when I am in the middle of the work, I don't love it so much. I get frustrated with how long the work sometimes takes. Or I feel completely helpless when I realize how thoroughly inept I am for the task at hand. And sometimes I wonder if it is just plain worth the effort. But I have realized a few things. First, I can do hard things, for "with God all things are possible." Second, our Heavenly Father is the best example of "intentional teaching" (the current buzz word in academia). His tasks always have a purpose. He presents us with work to improve and refine and never gives us more than we can bear. Third, work is an eternal principle. It has to be because even our Heavenly Father has stated that he works..."Behold, this is my work and my glory to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man." I'm grateful for work. Even though sometimes it hurts, it seems long, and the reward is nowhere to be seen. And when things are hard or even mundane (because some tasks really do seem mundane and pointless), I remember this phrase that was on a t-shirt once worn by a younger sibling many, many years ago
God don't make no junk
That little phrase is often just the kick I need so I can buckle down and put my shoulder to the wheel.

No comments: