Monday, August 31, 2009

Spiritual Growing Pains

Here's what I have been thinking about for awhile. I used to consider myself a glass half-empty person. Then I started thinking about it and realized that maybe I'm really a glass half-full person. I realized that for the most part, I did look at the bright side of things and tried to be optimistic. If you ask, I'll usually tell you that things are going well. Our life seems to be pretty much in order, we have great kids, I have a good marriage, etc. Life is good. But then I started thinking some more...maybe I'm not really a glass half-full person after all. Maybe I have just overlooked or not noticed, the trials. And if I did that, what lesson did I miss? What strengthening didn't occur? You see, I firmly believe that our Heavenly Father gives us trials/challenges to strengthen us and make us a better person. I also firmly believe that He knows us each individually and knows exactly how much we can handle. So can you see my concern? If I'm missing the trials or overlooking them, what does that say about my faith? Am I destined for a life of mediocrity--not knowing true joy because I can't handle true pain? I think I am a fairly strong person. I have a deep testimony. I see others around me who have deep testimonies as well and they are undergoing some serious challenges and I'm left wondering, "What's wrong with me?" But then again, maybe nothing is wrong with me. Maybe at this point in time, Heavenly Father is satisfied with where I am at and with what I am doing. Maybe He is pleased with my efforts as I learn and struggle in my new calling. Maybe learning to draw closer to Him as I learn to serve the sisters in our ward is my challenge and trial. Just maybe, the wheels don't have to fall off of the bus and the world come crashing down for us to learn, grow, and be happy. And just maybe, I can be a glass half-full person and that doesn't mean I am oblivious or overlooking my challenges--I just look at them with a different perspective, with hope and faith.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Men are that they might have joy, right? Even in our trials He wants us to be happy (at least in my opinion). Remember, I've had the wheels fall off and it wasn't that much fun. And honestly, even though I learned a lot, I know I have learned and grown more in the last five years than I did during the two years that I was trying to put the wheels back on. I think as long as you are serving the Lord to the best of your ability, you should feel happy and hopeful and your burdens will seem lighter. Just my two cents.

Love,

Nate

Nurse Graham said...

I know your right Nate. I wasn't looking to be unhappy, I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing something. I did go and read 4 Nephi and remembered that when the 200 years where the Nephites were living righteously and were happy and still growing in love and faith in the Lord.

jessica said...

I think you are right where you need to be. I wonder sometimes if I have ever NOT been going through a trial...some are just harder than others. I wonder if I haven't learned something and that is why I have to keep getting hit with stuff. On the other hand, I have learned how to find joy amidst the trials and grow. So I guess that makes me right where I'm supposed to be.

Oh and callings are so great for personal growth...what is your calling anyway?

Nurse Graham said...

I'm the 1st counselor in the Relief Society presidency. I have enjoyed the new level of love for each sister I have felt. I always used to doubt when various members of high council, stake presidency, bishopric would express their love for each of us. I didn't believe that they could. Being in this calling has opened my eyes and heart. It helps me understand that our Heavenly Father also can love each of us individually at the same as He loves other of His children.

Anonymous said...

This isn't really related to your post, but we were right with what we discussed the other night.

Dan