Friday, August 28, 2009

I Should Hang My Head in Shame

Last night I had to go to the grocery store. Have I ever mentioned how much I dislike going? Well, let's just say that I would rather nit-pick a whole 1st grade classroom over going to the grocery store. Oh, and I have been known to ask my family to just stop eating so I don't have to go shopping. Okay so the last part is tongue-in-cheek, mostly. But I digress...last night's shopping trip. When I finally finished and I made it to the check-out line, I realized that the items of my cart were much more reflective of the items found on the interior of the store than the perimeter. Please remember that my profession is as a school nurse and I often lament about the growing waistlines of our student population. With that in mind, please note the items in my cart:
  • 7 boxes of sugared cereal
  • a package of "snack-bag" Frito-Lay chips--assorted so we got Cheetos, Fritos, Doritos, and Lays
  • a frozen pizza
  • 1 box of Twinkies and 1 box of Ding-Dongs
  • 2 loaves of white bread
  • 1 package of white hamburger buns
  • 3 packages of processed lunch meat and one of the Hormel brand that doesn't add preservatives
  • a pound of real butter

There. It is now out there for all of cyberworld to see. Please employ the "do as I say, not as a I do" mantra when making your own food purchases. I did have a few items that were somewhat redeemable--a gallon of skim milk, sweet potatoes, regular potatoes...I guess that's it. I thought there were more. Oh the shame.

On a completely different note...there is a certain member of our family who might need a new home. Preferrably a home that does not have a lot of small electronics. This certain family member has caused the demise of a digital camera, a beloved training tool, two headlamps, and I think at least one more small electronic thing. But this family member is a tricky one, she is. Yesterday, she managed to pull only the headlamp off of the table. The headlamp that was sitting under the shock (training) collar. The headlamp that I wear when we are out running at 5 in the morning. Well she did manage to get the blinkie light off of the table as well, but that light attaches to her collar so it was still as good as new.

No comments: