Monday, August 3, 2009

Going Back

So this past weekend I travelled back to Aberdeen to attend my 20th (!) high school reunion. I can't believe that I have been out of high school for 20 years. Most of the time, I still feel like I'm 28 and have only been out of high school for 10 years. Anyway, since Dave and Carson in Alaska fishing, and Katelyn didn't want to go with me, I made the 6 hour trip by myself. For the majority of the drive, I thought about what was going in my life right now...getting ready for school to start, training for another 1/2 marathon, thinking/planning Katelyn's 16th birthday party (are we throwing a big bash or not?), and just other stuff that occupies one's mind. When I hit the Grays Harbor county line and it was the only place in the state that was covered by clouds (as usual), I began to wonder what other things I might find the same during this reunion weekend.
I started remembering our high school community. Just like any community, we had people who lived on the outskirts, there were people who were the center or hub, and many people who found themselves in-between. Some people were talented enough to move back and forth between the various classes, but that was a feat in high school. I wondered if those same lines/boundaries would be realized at this reunion because they were somewhat at the 10 year reunion.
I think that uncertainty is what made so many of my classmates a little anxious about this reunion. I was surprised to talk with so many of my classmates who said that they were nervous about coming, some even saying they felt a little nauseous before Friday night's social. I didn't have the same anxiety. I think it was because I'm finally comfortable with who I am (not that I think any of my classmates who expressed anxiety are self-conscious, that's not what I'm saying at all) and because I'm comfortable with who I am, I could go to this reunion and be genuinely curious about how my other classmates are doing, what is going on in their lives, and not really care if they asked about me or not. I can honestly say that I was happy to see everyone who came and I made an effort to try and talk to most everyone. Oh, and those boundaries that had existed in high school--completely erased. I guess we all did finally grow up.
Of course there were a few people who I wanted to see more than anyone--my core group of girlfriends in high school, Dawn, Doty, and Sissy; and my core group of guy friends Mike, RJ, and Jeff. I was so grateful that I had a chance to see these friends and re-connect. I really have no excuse for not staying in touch and I should do better and I'm going to try--even if that means I have to join Facebook because that, it seems, is where everyone goes to keep in touch.
So here's to the Class of '89. Thanks to the planning committee. The reunion was a lot of fun.

3 comments:

jessica said...

You want to hear something crazy.....we were in Aberdeen at the same time! We went to Seattle last week and spent the weekend with my grandparents in Ocean Shores. We stayed one night in Aberdeen in the Olympic Inn. We saw the sign about the reunion and we were wondering what year Kurt Cobain graduated...anyway...small world!

Nurse Graham said...

Even though Kurt spent his early years in Aberdeen, he did not graduate from Aberdeen (I don't think). My friend, Jeff Burlingame, has written a biography about Kurt that would be able to give you those details. Kurt's younger sister did graduate with us.

Anyway, even more small world because our Saturday night dinner was held at the Ocean Shores Shilo Inn. Wasn't it a gorgeous weekend over there?

Sissy said...

Yes, you will have to work harder to keep in touch! I hear that Worden and Thwaites are challenging each other for next year's Portland Marathon. You'll have to join them and have an excuse to come down to see me.

Love,
S