Monday, August 24, 2009

I've Lived with Him Longer than He Lived with His Mom

Today makes it official...I have now lived with David longer than he lived with his parents (and longer than I lived with my parents). We celebrate our 19th wedding anniversary today. While I certainly don't feel like it was just yesterday that we were newly-weds, I am finding it hard to believe that 19 years has already elapsed.
We've certainly had some doozy downs--at the time, they felt like deal-breakers. But we have also had some awesome ups. When you get married at 19 there is still a lot of growing up to do and David and I were lucky enough to be able to grow up together as a couple. We've learned some important lessons along the way--you really shouldn't go to bed mad at each other, use humor when possible, speak in an indoor voice. The most important lesson I have learned...compromise does not always mean that both parties lose; it can also mean that both parties win.
It's pretty great going to bed every night knowing that the person who is in bed with you loves you more than anything else. I love him, too, that much.

2 comments:

jessica said...

Happy Anniversary!

dad said...

sorry, bugs, didn't have a chance to read your post until today. Happy belated Anniversary. I remember when your mom and I reached the same milestone- didn't seem all that long ago- only 20 years. Love you