Friday, August 7, 2009

One of Three Returns

Late last night, Katelyn returned home from camp. She was not due to arrive home until today, but the torrential thunderstorm that we had yesterday caused some minor flooding at camp and so home the girls came. Even though she was stinky, dirty, and a little soggy, I was really happy to see her. I didn't even mind that I had to go get her at the Stake Center at 11:00 at night. This last week has been a little strange for me as I have been by myself. I think it gave me a glimpse into what life could be like in just a few short years. I was a little uncomfortable with not having anyone to care for but the dog and the fish. The dog is doing fine. The fish, well so far I've lost 2. I think if this trend continues I may be turned in to PETA. I did learn a few things. I'm still Heather even without kids and husband to care for. I still enjoy working out with my friends early in the morning. I used to say that i had to work out early in the morning so that it didn't impact my caring for the family in the morning. While there is an element of truth in that, what I discovered is that I really do enjoy being up at 5 and getting my exercise done. I love starting the day off with something that pushes the heart rate up and clears the sleepy fog from my brain. I also learned that I'm going to need some sort of summer job when the kids are grown and out of the house. I missed being busy. Today I was frustrated with myself because i did not fully take advantage of this week. I could have volunteered somewhere. I could have been more of a help to my mother-in-law as she is preparing for a family get-together this weekend. I really could have done some productive things this week, but I let the week pass me by. I also learned that I enjoy weed pulling way more than my children do. I would spend a couple of hours each morning out in the garden area pulling weeds. I swear that weed pulling is a never ending job! But I loved being out there, discovering new bugs, and listening to the honey bees buzz all around my raspberry plants. I loved the thrill I would get when I could finally work a huge dandelion free from the soil with its full root still intact. When I'm pulling weeds with the kids, we spend a lot of our time seeing who can pull a weed with the longest, thickest root. I missed having them out there with me as i was pulling the weeds. I missed the laughter when one of us would fall over from a weed that we had been tugging so hard on finally was pulled out of the ground. I even missed the grumbling that would always eminate from them, usually for the whole hour that we were out in the garden. That grumbling used to drive me crazy, but I learned this week that I missed it. Finally, I learned that if you are going to mow the lawn with a self-propelled lawn mower you have to engage the drive control for the self-propulsion to work properly. If not, the lawn mower is almost as difficult to push around as a rotary blade mower. I discovered this little gem after I was about 3/4 of the way done with the backyard. But I had it all figured out for the next day when I mowed the front yard. The last 2 arrive home some time tomorrow night. I can't wait. Hopefully they will have been able to shower. If not, can you imagine how they are going to smell after having spent a week in the Alaskan back-country?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure it's impossible for anyone under the age of 20 or so to enjoy pulling weeds. I can't say that I really enjoy it, but I know I don't hate it as much now as I did growing up. Man I hated pulling weeds at the office.

Dan