Wednesday, February 26, 2014

What I've Been Meaning to Blog About...Part II

Having a missionary

First off, how cute is she (and how huge is her mission president?!)

Ok, now what I really want to talk about...

"How are you doing?" I was asked that question so many times in the month leading up to Katelyn's departure that I began to question if there was some emotion that I was missing because, honestly, I was doing great, still am. I wasn't nervous, anxious, weepy...none of that. I was happy for her, and truth be told, a little relieved.

Katelyn had spent the last month or so before she left showing how "adult" she was by staying out until 3 o'clock in the morning and not doing anything around the house. This is what her day looked like:
  • Wake up at 7:25 to leave to watch 2 boys for one hour before they had to leave for school
  • 8:45 get home, watch TV or fall asleep on the couch
  • 1:30 maybe take a shower if she had to work that night at the Melting Pot
  • 3 to 9 Work at the Melting Pot (sometimes she worked until 10 or 10:30)
  • Stay up until 1 ,2 or 3 o'clock in the morning, either Skyping or out with friends
It drove me crazy to come home for lunch to see her sleeping and the things she said she would do (like the dishes or clean her room) completely undone. It was also frustrating to have her staying up so late when the neurologist had to her that she need to improve her sleep habits if she wanted to avoid her bi-monthly migraines that took her out of commission for a day or two.

So when people would ask me "How are you doing?" I really wanted to say, "I'm ready for her to go, get on a schedule, and be anxiously engaged in a good cause." Instead, I just said "Fine," because I wasn't sure what they wanted to hear and I felt guilty for feeling how I did.

I'm happy for Katelyn to have this experience. I know she will do good things. It is awesome to get her short, sort-of informative e-mails because even in the few sentences that she shares you can see that she is recognizing the blessings she receives ("I have noticed that I don't stutter when I read here. Talk about a tender mercy") and her growing love for our Heavenly Father and His Son, Jesus Christ. Seeing your child develop a deep, personal relationship with her Savior is amazing.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It's amazing to see what missions do for these young adults...How fun is it that you are a missionary mom!!??