Tuesday, February 4, 2014

No Growth in the Comfort Zone

"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone"

My mind fixated on that phrase. I kept repeating it over and over as I finished up my second one-mile repeat. Repeating it in hopes that my body would respond and keep the pace up. Recognizing that those repeats were going to hurt. But the hurt would not last forever and I would be stronger for my efforts.

Of course when I heard that phrase the week before in stake conference, I wasn't thinking about it in the same way that I was thinking about it when I was running my mile-repeats. The mile-repeats were a strain on my physical body. In stake conference I was thinking about the phrase in terms of spiritual growth.

Some people make living the gospel (a Christ-centered life) look so easy. Their actions of charity and acceptance of gospel principles flow from them seamlessly. They appear to never have any doubts and almost perfect faith.

I am not one of those people. I often have many wrestles with the Spirit as I try to sort out what is doctrine and what is cultural practice. I wrestle with the Spirit when I seek for understanding and answers to long-held questions. I wrestle with the Spirit when I see faithful, heartfelt prayers go unanswered. I get impatient because I want the answers now. I want to know that all will be well and will work out.

But an amazing thing happens with each wrestle. There is growth. There is understanding. The pain, discomfort, and discouragement decrease in intensity. The Lord teaches me line upon line, precept upon precept. I learn to reframe my thinking and see His hand and mercy in all things.

Those mile repeats are never going to be fun. They may never become easy. I may not even see fabulous results from week to week. However, I have faith that with each mile repeat my body becomes stronger. That strength and the lessons I learned through running mile repeats will carry me through to successful completion of my first marathon.

I am pretty sure that I will always wrestle with the Spirit about something. I tend to let my natural (sinful) woman bump up hard against my spirit as I seek to sort out where I stand with God. But I know that with each experience comes growth and understanding. My spirit becomes stronger as I yield to the Lord and see how He blesses me every day. I also have faith that all experiences will be for my good and will lead me through to my ultimate goal of returning to live with my Heavenly Father.

No comments: