Monday, June 3, 2013

MishMash Monday

Today's blog post is a mishmash of work-out wrap-up, a couple of recipes, maybe a training tip for Katelyn, and maybe a random thought  or two.

Well last week I still didn't get in every work-out as planned. I did better with running, getting in a tempo run, a speed work run, and a long run. Felt pretty good about being better with getting in the running, but was disappointed that I didn't get in any bike rides. Monday was raining so the group ride was cancelled. Thursday didn't work out because I got home too late from my doctor's appointment to join the group ride and didn't feel like going out by myself. Friday should have worked but I woke up with a migraine and had to cancel on my friend. Even though I missed biking, I did get in two swims along with the three runs. I guess overall that makes last week a "win" for training.

I have found some new yummy things that I am enjoying. First, and after much skepticism, I have discovered that green smoothies are in fact, quite delicious.

This is my recipe for green smoothies:

1/2 c Silk coconut milk
1 peach or mango
large handful of spinach
1/4 c plain Greek yogurt  (Fage is my favorite brand)
2 or 3 ice cubes
 
Place all in a blender and blend until smooth.
 
 
The next yummy-for-my-tummy treat that I have discovered is a peanut butter/yogurt dip spread on a white corn tortilla, topped with bananas (and maybe chocolate chips), and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
 
Peanut butter/yogurt dip is super-easy.
 
1/4 cup peanut butter
1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt.
Mix well. Can add agave or honey for a little sweetness if the dip is too tangy.
 
Since I can't eat bananas raw I put the whole little concoction in the oven for 12 minutes at 375 degrees. Oh so yummy. I may need to go make one right now.
 
I'm trying eat a more vegetarian diet, but it isn't easy. And the reason continues to be because I am mostly lazy when it comes to actually preparing the meal. I have great plans, but I find grocery shopping to be such a bother and then actually cooking to be just as much trouble. I thought I enjoyed cooking, but I am discovering I must not really like it or I would be more willing to put the necessary time into completing the whole process.
 
Katelyn posted on Facebook that she ran with her friend last week. I hope that she keeps up with the running. Here is another training tip: don't overeat. Beginning runners make the mistake of overeating, mostly because they overestimate the number of calories they are burning. When you eat, don't fuel up with junk food, but an occasional treat wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.
 
Are you still reading? Wow, I'm impressed. But I think it is time to wrap up this mishmash of nothingness. I leave you to think about this "Prayer is a privilege" (an up-coming topic for our sacrament meeting). What do you think that means?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Best green "smoothie" ever:

1 large avacado
1 c. sugar
milk to desired thickness

Can't go wrong.

Nate

Anonymous said...

Obviously, you need to put the above concoction in the blender and blend until smooth.

Nate

Nurse Graham said...

Wish I could have avocado, but it is now on the anaphylactic allergen list for me. So sad.

Anonymous said...

Pre-load with Benadryl.

mom said...

Remind Katelyn that chocolate milk is the perfect after run drink-

Katelyn said...

Ha! Well I got the eating junk part down... The running part not so much.