Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Fashion Trends I Just Can't Pull Off

I went through three outfits this morning as I was trying to get dressed for work. After the third attempt I decided there are just some fashion trends that I can't do.

Not matter how hard I try, and how many different combinations I try, I cannot seem to pull off the fashion trend of wearing a t-shirt under a tank top. Now, this may only be a fashion trend in the Mormon culture, but it is rampant in that culture. And some of the ladies wear this fashion with smashing success. I've watched them, taken notes and the type of t-shirt and tank top they wear, and tried to replicate it myself. I am a smashing failure with this trend. Not sure why I can't make it work, but the t-shirt/tank top combination just don't look right on me.

I haven't even tried the maxi dress/maxi skirt fashion trend. I'm not sure if vertically-challenged people can pull of this trend and since the dresses are quite pricey, I'm not willing to spend money on something that will be oh so disappointing. Also, the dresses will most likely require a t-shirt underneath the top part of the dress since most of the dresses I have seen have tank top straps (or are strapless). And I've already discussed that that won't work for me.

I've also tried this new trend of the partial tuck in front. For this trend, one tucks in a small portion of her shirt into the waistband of her pants. I haven't gone so far as to follow the tutorial on Pinterest, but I have tried working this trend several different times and feel like it just doesn't work for me. I don't find it flattering on my body frame. Instead of hiding waist-area flaws (like it is touted to do), I feel like it just accentuates the area of my body that I am least comfortable with. I have the stubborn post-baby pooch that in the almost 17 years since the last baby I have yet to get to go away. Since the partial tuck seems to accentuate this little pooch, and the pooch is apparently here to stay, the partial tuck fashion trend will have to go.

And once winter rolls around and the boots with dresses trend comes around again, there will be another fashion fail for me.

2 comments:

mom said...

It's a bummer that they don't make boots in petite because boots & a skirt is usually a great look for petites since it creates one long line. I think it really takes someone under 25 to really carry off the tank & t successfully - always looks like "skirting the issue" to me though.

Maggie said...

you're one up on me since I had no idea any of things were things. well i have noticed the maxi dress, but for the most part I'm too far removed to notice.