Saturday, June 22, 2013

Are You Going to Watch?

Have you heard of Nic Wallenda? He is a husband. He is a father of three. He has a rich and interesting family history. He is also a 7th-generation high wire walker. According to his website, his first appearance on the wire when his mother was 6th months pregnant with him. He then performed as a tiny clown carried in a pillowcase by another family member when he was age 2. He would have to wait until he was 13 before he could perform solo.

Since reaching that critical age, Nic has fulfilled many death-defying high-wire acts. He has performed a stunt in Puerto Rico that sent his great-grandfather to his death back in the 1970's. He set a Guinness World Record for riding a bike across a high wire back in 2008; a performance that was shown live on the Today show. Continuing with those challenges, and taking advantage of the fact that a network was willing to sponsor him, Nic took his high-wire act to a place that hadn't seen any stunts performed there in over 116 years. Nic set his sights on Niagara Falls. Last year, he completed his walk, although the network required him to wear a safety tether.

This year, with a new network, Nic has upped the anty and in the process will fulfill a life-long dream if he successfully completes his stunt. If he slips off the wire, well there will be no safety tether this time, and death is certain. This Sunday Nic will be walking 1500 feet in the air and across a span of 1400 feet as he crosses the Grand Canyon. Discovery Channel will be providing live coverage. Nic's dad is the safety advisor so he will be there to check all of the equipment.

I've read Nic's website. It is clear that these types of tricks, or events, or whatever they are called, are his family normal. As much as just the thought of these tricks turn my stomach, they are routine for Nic and his family. The Flying Wallenda's are high-wire performers. That is their day job. And they are really good at their job.

Still, I'm not sure I can stand to watch this latest installment in Nic's high-wire act. It just seems too risky, although I'm not sure what the difference is between walking across the Grand Canyon and the high-wire act he performed in Puerto Rico (the height was similar although the span was a little shorter). At least when he was walking across Niagara Falls he wore a tether.

Last night when the commercial came on, I told Carson that I wasn't sure that I was going to watch. I wasn't sure I could stand the anticipation and worry. I won't tell you what Carson's response was. I was disgusted by it, but also wonder how many people will be watching on Sunday with the same secret mindset.

3 comments:

mom said...

Was Carson disappointed that Mr Wallenda made it across safely?

Nurse Graham said...

Carson is at wrestling camp so I don't think he watched it.

I watched the repeat of it that ran at 9:30. I wanted to know the outcome before I watched.

mom said...

We didn't turn it on until he was nearly finished. His kids were right there at the end point but as he said it's the family business.