Monday, May 20, 2013

Getting Started

I have been consistently running for about 5 years. I have always encouraged Katelyn and Carson to go with me, but they have always said "NO THANKS!" So imagine my surprise when Katelyn suggested I come down and run the Color Run with her in Rexburg. Well actually the conversation went more like this:

Katelyn: "Hey I thought about doing this until I saw that it was a run, but you should come down and do it"

Me: "These kind of "runs" are usually more of a run/walk activity. We should totally do it together."

Katelyn: "Um, ugh, OK"

Me: "Great. I'll sign us up."

Katelyn: "Wait, I'm not so sure."

Me: "Too late. Find a friend to train with so it will be more fun"

Katelyn: "Ok, I have a few I could ask."

So it's official; we are going to do the ColorInMotion 5k in July. I'm trying to contain my excitement and not go overboard in giving training advice. Katelyn said I could give it, but there was no guarantee she would follow it.

With that in mind, here are the first couple of training tips.

1. You can run almost any type of shorts and t-shirt, but it is a MUST to have quality running shoes. Having the proper shoes that fit correctly will make training much more enjoyable and will help prevent injuries. The best place to get quality running shoes is not at any of the big-box stores. No, the best place to get good running shoes is at a specialty running store. When you go, make sure they check your ankle strength, arch of your foot, stride, etc. Tell them you are a beginner and are training for a 5k. The whole fitting process will take some time so budget at least 45 minutes. And don't choke when they tell you the price of the shoes. You have to pay for quality.

2. Probably the second most important item is a good running bra. I can't stress enough how important it is to get one that is comfortable and will keep the "girls" in place. If there is a lot of bouncing not only will it be uncomfortable painful, but it will also create chafing. And OH NELLIE is chafing bad news! Moving Comfort is a good brand. Title 9 also has some good bras to chose from. I would suggest going to a department store to get measured for a bra and then looking on-line at Title 9's website. Again, just like shoes, don't go for cheapest. It's usually not worth it.

Stay tuned for more tips on how to build up your time and distance. You don't want to start out too fast or you'll wind up not enjoying the running.

3 comments:

Katelyn said...

Where am I suppose to get shoes in Rexburg?!

Nurse Graham said...

You will have to take trip down to Idaho Falls. I'm sure there is a running store there.

Nurse Graham said...

Here's one in Idaho Falls and BONUS, they have group runs on Wednesday night in Rexburg.

http://www.tetonrunning.net/products-1/road-shoes.html

The physical address for the store is at the top of the store's home page.