Monday, January 7, 2013

This Year's Theme: Part II

I re-read the last line in yesterday's post and it sounded like right now I only do service if there is something in it for me. That is not how I feel about service. I do enjoy serving others and stepping up to fill an unmet need. I also don't spend time wondering about what I might receive in return. I don't hold service over the person's head thinking that they owe me something, even if it is just an expression of gratitude.

At least that is how I thought I felt about service. But there were some experiences this past holiday season with a particular person that I am close to that demonstrated that, to some extent, I do expect my efforts of service to be recognized and appreciated. I find that I tie more expectations of gratitude/appreciation for service to the service that I provide to family members.

So as I was thinking about my attitudes regarding my service to family, my irritation at the seeming ungrateful behavior, and trying to be a better person, I realized I need to redefine what service means to me. I also thought about serving and loving unconditionally and in a god-like manner.

Those thoughts invoked several questions. Stick with me here as I walk you through my somewhat meandering thought process. I should also tell you that for the most part I was thinking about service to family in relation to providing/buying stuff for them.

I wondered if Heavenly Father serves us unconditionally. I couldn't really find an answer to this question until I realized that I need to separate service/love from providing blessings. Once I got there I could move on and begin to formulate an answer for me.

I then asked myself: does Heavenly Father love us unconditionally, no-strings-attached? Absolutely yes. The scriptures teach that principle and I firmly believe in His unconditional love. Because of that unconditional love He will always be there for us, to serve us in His way.

But, I then asked, does His unconditional love also mean that he will provide blessings without condition or stipulation? The answer here is no. The scriptures teach that blessings are predicated upon obedience to the law.

Walking myself through this helped me to realize that providing service is deeper than providing stuff; it is about loving unconditionally, being forgiving, extending grace and mercy, being patient. That is service.

Providing "stuff" is liking providing blessings and it is OK to place stipulations on the receiver. I don't have to feel guilty about expecting a show of gratitude from the recipient when blessings have been given. Did Christ not teach us to return and express gratitude when blessings are received (the parable of the 10 lepers, anyone)?

My challenge will be to continue to love and serve unconditionally when the providing of blessings seems to be unappreciated. I will do my best to remember that there is an important difference between serving and providing blessings.

So that is my meandering thought process. It all made sense to me. Did it make sense to you?

1 comment:

jessica said...

Totally makes sense!