Sunday, November 4, 2012

Grateful Days

November 1st was a warm, sunny afternoon with only a few broken clouds interrupting a beautiful fall sky. I was sitting in the study room of Hutton Settlement's Cottage Two waiting for the young lady that I tutor every Thursday. As I was waiting, I watched out the big picture window for her and enjoyed seeing the leaves fall off of the old maple tree just outside the window.

Waiting gave me time to ponder what words I would use to describe the scene if I was somehow given the assignment of describing the scene. I thought about how I would write that the leaves appeared to be floating gently, catching a lilting breeze, and almost appearing to glow in the late afternoon sun. I wondered if that would paint as beautiful picture in someone's mind as was being displayed to my eye.

As I was thinking about this description, my mind wandered back to my first recollection of a creative writing assignment. I was in second grade and Mrs. McCartney had asked to write about how what it would feel like to be butter melting on toast. At first I was stumped. I didn't know what to write. Slowly ideas began entering my head and I would write them down. Before long I felt like I had written a good descriptive essay. I was crushed when Mrs. McCartney read mine out loud to the class and said it was a good example of "good attempt but not quite good enough." She then read another student's paper that was an example of exemplary work. From that moment on I was pretty convinced that I was not a good descriptive writer and my dreams of been a famous screenplay writer or play write were squashed almost before they even began.

As I sat waiting for the young lady and watching the leaves fall, I realized that I was grateful for those who do have the talent for painting pictures with words. Those talents make my reading hobby so much enjoyable and I seek out authors who can portray beautiful images just through words. I also read their works in hopes that some of their talent will rub off on me so that this little blog will be an enjoyable read for those that stop by from time to time.

November is "gratitude" month for me. My November entries will be about things I am grateful for and make my heart and life full.

No comments: