Friday, November 23, 2012

Musical Memories

Pandora radio, what a great and wonderful technological convenience. I love creating unique radio stations. Some of the radio stations were created because they are nice to listen to while doing paperwork at work. Other stations are for the Christmas holiday season and are played from right after Thanksgiving until the new year. A few them were created because I like the memories that the songs bring to my mind.

The Harry Potter film score was playing the other day and my mind drifted to a time when I would read the books to Katelyn and Carson. Sometimes I would read on long car trips, but most of the time it was a nightly routine before bed. Katelyn would sit and listen intently, not really wanting me to stop at the designated stopping place. For Carson, the reading had the desired effect--he would inevitably fall asleep long before the chapter was complete. These are good memories.

I can't hear the Star Wars film score without reminiscing about Carson and his fascination with all things Star Wars. When he was little, I knew that if I heard the Star Wars theme song, my little Padawan would shortly come running to find me. He would come yelling "The words, Mom. The words." This would be my cue to rush to the family room to read the monologue at the start of every Star Wars movie. After awhile I had the script memorized and would recite it to him from wherever I was in the house. Thinking back on that time brings a smile to face every time.

I created Broadway showtunes channel so I can feel closer to my little, almost grown-up, college-aged thespian, Katelyn. Wicked, Phantom of the Opera, Singin' in the Rain, Brigadoon...all of those conjure up memories of Katelyn. Sometimes I am reminded of how she would walk around the house either humming or singing the scores. Other times I smile as I remember watching her perform in the high school production of a couple of the plays. I am looking forward to the opportunity to watch her perform in a college musical.

Dave and I even have a few songs that have a special meaning to us. First is Richard Marx's song "Right Here Waiting." It came out right at the end of our senior year in high school. It was a perfect way to describe our year apart during our freshman year of college. "Fishin' in the Dark" brings back the memory of the time Dave and I saw The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band perform live on a wintery night in Park City. Then there is the Indiana Jones film score. It reminds me of the time when Dave and I were "extras" in the Indiana Jones Stunt Spectatucular in DisneyWorld. I pretended that we were an engaged couple just so we could be picked to participate in the show. Dave was such a good sport and just played along.

Oh my! The more time I think about music and memories, the more memories are stirred up. I am so grateful to have music as a part of my life to help me form and retain happy memories.

1 comment:

jessica said...

I love putting my life to music...I have playlists for each of my kids and phase of my life. It's amazing how many memories would have been lost if a song weren't attached to it :)