Monday, November 12, 2012

In Observance of Veteran's Day

We have the day off of school today in observance of Veteran's Day. Carson is spending the day watching the HBO seriers Band of Brothers.

Watching these shows is not my favorite thing to do. I hate the violence even though I know war is violent. I find the death and destruction overwhelming. I don't even know how to fully express my feelings when I think about the great suffering that occurred.

I am humbled to know that men and women willingly chose (and continue to choose) to defend our country even though the threat of mortal danger was (and is) quite real. They believed in the freedoms of this country and were willing to die to protect them. How can I express my gratitude sufficiently?

This is going to sound a little strange. I have a testimony of how great this country is. Yes, we could be better. There is always room for more kindness, charity and gratitude in our society. But those principles that our founding fathers believed in
... that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
 
are still just as relevant today as they were in 1776. The belief and defense of these principles is what makes our country great. I honor and salute those men and women who will put on a uniform to defend those principles so that I might be granted life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.
Leroy "Bud" Swigart, my grandpa because I married his grandson. I love (and miss) him.


2 comments:

Mom said...

Your grandpa Wight served in the Air Force - as a dentist but he did serve. Both his brothers, Uncle Dennis and Uncle Jay served as well. Jay was a pilot in the European theatre. And of course, your Uncle Brian - another Air Force dentist. Freedom has never been free; unfortunatley too many seem to have forgotten that.

Nurse Graham said...

Drat, I wish I had pictures of them in uniform. I would proudly post those as well.