Sunday, October 21, 2012

So How LDS Are You?

About 6 months ago I was at a working dinner for our union's executive board. As the waiter was coming around to take drink orders, the president of the union leaned over to me and asked, "So how LDS are you?" He was obviously trying to gage if I was going to follow the "no alcohol" tenet or bend the rules a little so as to be part of the group.

"Well I'll be drinking water today if you want to know. I'm LDS enough to follow the "no alcohol" rule even if everyone else is drinking." That seemed to satisfy him and the conversation moved on to something else.

Then last weekend I attended a SNOW conference (School Nurses of Washington). Since the boys were off deer hunting and the conference was being held at the Davenport, I decided to stay downtown. I asked if any of my colleagues wanted to share the room. Two of the nurses from our district said they would love to.

As we were checking in one of them started talking about the Bicardi and lemonade she brought. The other said she had brought the wine. Then they both turned to me and asked "So are you going to be drinking with us tonight?"

"No" I replied.

"Man I thought for sure tonight would be the night," was the response I got.

What ever gave them that idea?

Why would the union president ask me about LDS I am?

I have to admit that these two situations have caused me to pause and ask myself what I might be doing or saying that would cause these individuals to question my religious convictions. After some honest reflection, I can't identify anything that would have given the impression that somehow my moral compass adjusts to the situation and I would readily compromise my religious convictions just to fit in with the group norm.

So how LDS am I?

I am LDS enough to follow the dietary restrictions set forth in the Word of Wisdom even if others in the group are doing something different.

I am LDS enough to willingly spend 3 hours at church every Sunday.

I am LDS enough to want to serve others in whatever way I can.

I strive to be LDS enough that I can be like this woman (I know we shouldn't compare ourselves to others, but this lady is awesome)

I want to be LDS enough that no one has to ask "how LDS are you". They will know that I know Christ and his gospel, that I love it, and I live it. They will know that I am trying to be a good disciple of Christ.

I hope to live by these words from Thomas S. Monson:
"Fill your minds with knowledge. Fill your hearts with love. Fill your lives with service."

3 comments:

Maggie said...

I think those questions spring from the other person's world view of shifting morals rather than your outward commitment to the gospel of Christ.

Lindsey said...

There are LOADS of people profess to be LDS when it is convenient, although they don't follow the word of wisdom. It is unfortunate because it gives an unclear message to the world at large. It's unfortunate for sure.

jessica said...

I think the reason why they ask that question is, sadly, because of other LDS people whom they've known who don't live all of our high standards. They pick and chose what they want to live and when they want to live it. Way to show them the other side...the living it all the time side :)