Tuesday, October 9, 2012

I hesitate to post this today because I have been doing pretty good with my new venture into a "glass half-full" outlook. However, I see this commercial Every.Single.Morning and it irritates that crap out of me. So I am hoping that by typing out my feelings and then posting it I will be able to move forward and continue on with my foray into optimism.




 
 
I wish YouTube had the full version that I see daily. What the YouTube version cuts out is some of what irritates me makes me the most angry about the TV version.
 
The first couple of viewings all I noticed was the constant one-upmanship that was going on at the playground. And then I watched it closer and this is when I really became almost angry at this commercial.
 
The message about safe carseats was totally lost to me because I was seeing red due to the subtle, "mean girl" bullying that occurs for the length of this commercial.
 
Watch the commercial carefully.
 
Do you see it?
 
First, let's start with the fact that the ad company felt like they needed to portray a "dumpy" mom. She is dressed in a polo shirt tucked into khakis. She is also several pounds heavier than the other women in the video.
 
Second, they portray this mom as somewhat insecure. Notice how she is sitting away from the crowd when everyone else is standing. She also can't let go of her poor kid and instead continues to rub in sunscreen for a much longer time than is necessary...says security blanket to me.
 
Next, this woman tries to add to the conversation only to be COMPLETELY shut down by another woman.
 
Did you see the look she got when she responded, after being shut down, "I was going to say that"? Every time I see that brunette woman roll her eyes and look down her nose at that poor mom, I want to jump through my TV screen and slap the brunette upside the head. (Oh, I think that might actually occur only in the TV version.)
 
And the final insult? When the woman does offer something to the conversation, she gets an almost "duh" reaction when the brunette woman responds "That's obvious" and both the Asian woman and the token male look away.
 
How ironic is it that the government that makes us show anti-bullying propaganda information in schools produces a public service announcement that is fully of typical "mean girl" bullying behavior?
 
A more appropriate closing to the commercial should be...
 
"Do you know that children watch you carefully to see how you treat and speak to others?" Parents who really know are kind, considerate, and treat others with respect, not disdain and condescension.
 
Whew. Rant over. I think I am ready to move on. Sometimes I do over-react and read more into a situation than what is there so sharing my views (and getting feedback from others) helps me see the other side of the coin.
 
 
But here is a positive YouTube video...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find most PSA's so absurd and annoying that I just turn them off. Anything talking about carseats/boosterseats really sets me off. I mean really, according to the government YOU should still be using a booster! ;)

Nate

mom said...

ecI'doe 92Here's where "generational differences" come in - I think it is a dumb commercial & I know they are way over-regulating carseats (we didn't even have what would pass as a car seat until Michael)but I see it not so much as "Mean Girl bullying" as just rude "I'm smarter than you" childish behavior. In the "one size fits all, make no judgements" world of political correctness, bullying has been redefined & dumbed down to the point that real physical, bullying goes unaddressed because so much time is devoted to trying to protect against hurt feelings. Same group that suspends a little boy for drawing a picture of a gun instead of telling the little girl that he can draw what he wants to draw, just as she can. I think we could save a bunch of money by defunding those PSA's (oops-sorry drama major - that might impact your job prospects).

Maggie said...

I HATE the new Luvs commercial line of "first time mom" vs "second time mom." Apparently the second time around you rely on technology and care nothing of the feelings of others.

Katelyn said...

You put one of my vlog videos up?