Friday, October 12, 2012

Men Who Stare at Racks

I think it is safe to say that for my boys there are 5 days each year that they await with eager anticipation: their birthday, Christmas Eve/Christmas, and Opening Deer Season Eve/Opening Deer Season. Today marks the latter.

The shopping has been done. The gear is packed. Now they just have to wait until the afternoon before they can leave for deer camp. Part of me hopes that they will see many racks this weekend, and at least a couple of them legal-to-shoot. That way when the guys return on Sunday they can come in beating their chests while saying "We men. We bring home meat." They are always so proud of themselves when they have had a successful hunt. But another part of me is hoping that the bucks will remain in hiding because our chest freezer still holds most of last year's deer.

But I know whatever the outcome, the boys will have some great memories and funny stories to share. That is the part that I am always eager to have them share with me.

No comments: