Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Flying in Formation

Almost every morning for the last two weeks I have heard the noisy honking of geese as they fly over my house on their southward journey. When I hear the honking I step out onto my deck just to watch them fly in formation. I marvel at how they rotate through and that even though the transition can sometimes be messy, they quickly reform the infamous V. I absolutely love watching them fly and watching the teamwork.

Today as I was watching a group fly over my house I thought about church lessons I had heard in the past relating the flight of geese to different relationships (visiting teaching and Relief Society are the ones most often described). I wondered who I would identify as "lifter"--someone who honked from behind to keep me going just a little bit longer. I didn't readily identify anyone from my ward, but I know that if I really was feeling drug down and needing a lift surely there would be someone from church I could call--maybe they would be in my ward, maybe in a neighboring ward.

But today as I was talking to one of my nurse colleagues I knew at that moment I was part of a group where we all take turns "honking". My friend and I talked about how each of us seems to have a niche where we are strong--one is an excellent writer of care plans and if you need help with that, call Christa; one has mad triage skills and excellent dealing with mental health issues, so if you have a question about triage or need mental health referral, call Deb. And the list went on until we realized that we each play an important role in supporting each other.

School nursing can sometimes be a lonely job. Yes, you are in a building (or several) and interact with lots of different people, but only a few (10 in our district) really get what you do all day because they do it to. Today I am enjoying the moment...the moment of realizing that I am flying in formation with some great ladies.

No comments: