Thursday, August 16, 2012

Running a New Race

Tomorrow I am participating in a new race challenge for me. I am joining 11 other runners to form a team that will run from Mt. Spokane to Sandpoint, Idaho. I have never run this type of relay race and I am nervous as well as excited. My friend Jen talked me into to it.

So I have been doing some double runs, that is to say, a 4 to 5 mile run in the morning and then repeat that same run in the evening. I have also been trying to run a couple of mid-day run, which has met with little success. I just don't run well in the heat. I feel pretty prepared and fortunately I don't have any mid-day runs. I estimate I'll start my first run sometime around 10:45 in the morning. It is a 5-mile downhill run and should be pretty shaded. My next leg is another 5-mile run and should start sometime around 7:30 or 8:00 at night. I'm hopeful that it will be starting to cool off by then because the daytime temps for Friday are supposed to be in the mid-90's. Then my final leg will be probably early Saturday morning and is another 5 mile run.

The thing I am most stressed out about is actually quite a silly thing to be worried about. We are using my house as a pitstop on Friday afternoon and I'm worried about my house decor or lack thereof. How silly, I know, but nevertheless, I worry about being judged on my lack of home decor. My friend assures me that nobody is going to care about the house decor. She even joked that because it is 4 men that will be coming to my house they will not even notice the home decor. They will just be worried about showering, sleeping, and eating.

I'll provide a race report later this weekend.

2 comments:

Mom said...

As long as there is hot water & clean towels the guys will be fine with the bathrooms. There might be a bigger problem with food - or lack there of at your house but you are fine with decor.

SarahAnn said...

My Borther has riden his bike for the runner for the last few years for this and has had a lot of fun. I hope you have fun also.