Monday, August 13, 2012

A Charitable Moment and Changes

Ha ha, the title makes it sound like me having a charitable moment is a rarity. And I suppose in this particular instance it is. Today I drove girls to Girls' Camp and actually enjoyed the experience.

I have driven to Girls' Camp many times, but it was always out of a sense of obligation because Katelyn was attending camp. Even when I didn't initially volunteer, I still wound up either driving up or picking up girls because we had an SUV and could haul gear and girls. And even though it was mostly voluntary (self-imposed guilt if I said no always meant I would say yes), I still didn't enjoy the experience or wasn't really a willing participant.

But this year, Katelyn was not attending camp. I had no obligation whatsoever for driving, but when they asked for volunteers I found myself raising my hand. I couldn't stop myself. I wanted to drive this year because today, the day they needed drivers, I had absolutely nothing else to do. Carson was off on a wrestling retreat, Katelyn and Dave were at work, and Josie was content due to a long run this morning.

So this afternoon at 2 o'clock I picked up three 4th-level girls and headed out on the 90 mile drive to Girls' Camp. I enjoyed the drive. I enjoyed listening to the girls. I didn't care that they didn't say "thank you for the ride." I didn't care that it was 90 miles up and 90 miles back. I was just happy to serve in this way.

Speaking of Katelyn and change, this morning I got a glimpse of what my grocery shopping trips might look like next year. Today, a week's worth of groceries fit into the small shopping cart. Now, Katelyn isn't a huge eater, but without her home it will mean one less gallon of milk a week; 2 less loaves of bread; a couple of less boxes of cereal; and in general smaller amounts of prepared meals. It was a strange moment when I realized that shortly all of my grocery shopping trips will only require the small cart.

1 comment:

mom said...

Your dad calls the small shopping carts "stubbies". I like them, too.