Monday, January 31, 2011

These are the Days When Its Nice to be "Mom"

My sister-in-law, Maggie, is in the throws of raising toddlers/preschoolers. They are so busy and she is so tired that sometimes it's hard to always remain positive and loving. I remember those days. I remember wondering how I was going to remain calm after cleaning up the spilled sugar at grandma's house for the 57th time. And I was really surprised that everyone was still living when I got home from work one afternoon and found out that a certain little toddler had smashed red lipstick into grandma's Persian rug. I remember just being so tired from chasing them around and trying to entertain them while also trying to keep the house clean, the laundry done, food on the table, the bills paid, and a what seemed like a million other important things. And when you are in the thick of raising busy toddlers and preschoolers, you wonder if there will ever be a reward for letting them live. And then it happens. Your reward comes. One day, kind of out of the blue, you may get a phone call like this: Mrs. H: "Hi, I'm Katelyn's French teacher. I just wanted to let you know how impressed I have been with your daughter this past semester. She was always chipper and had a smile on her face." Me: "Thanks." Mrs. H: "I know you were concerned about Katelyn not giving a full effort, but I want you to know, she laid everything out on the table. She tried her hardest and never quit. She knew that this semester was particularly challenging for her, but she kept on trying." Me: "That's good to hear." Mrs. H: "I am so impressed with her strength of character. She did everything she was asked. I know that grammar was her downfall, but she kept trying. She really does have a lovely speaking voice. It was my privilege to have her in my class." Me (with tears in my eyes): "Thank you for calling and letting me know." So, Maggie, the rewards do come from sticking it out when raising toddlers and preschoolers. Sometimes, you just have to wait awhile. Except for the hugs....kiddos that age give the best hugs. Take as many as you can while they are little.

2 comments:

Maggie said...

Thanks

jessica said...

Oh I hope I get a phone call like that someday...way to go mom!