Monday, January 17, 2011

Self-improvement Theme for the Year

Last year, I said that I was going to work on developing temperance. I set up up 3 specific mini-goals to help me achieve this. Reflecting back on last year, I feel that I was successful in increasing temperance. Am I there 100% in every situation? Absolutely not. But did I learn some very important lessons and develop some much-needed daily habits (scripture study)? Yep, I sure did. I also realize how glorious our Heavenly Father is. I know that he truly guided me towards last year's resolution and the mini-goals. The mini-goals, particularly daily scripture study, truly saved me this past October and November. I also had a first-hand opportunity to experience God's grace in my life. God extends his grace to us because He loves us. Plain and simple. His grace is truly what makes all the difference in our lives. There is no balance sheet in heaven with good deeds done in one column and bad deeds in another. The only balance sheet that exists is our love and commitment and unrepented sins. Plain and simple. No matter what I do, I will never make it to Heaven on my own accord. I absolutely need my Savior. I need to be 100% committed to accepting His love for me. Once I have accepted His love, then I need to do my best to follow Him. Charity is God's love. Extending charity is my demonstration that I have accepted His love and am trying my best to follow Him. Last year's resolution was a small step on the path to learning to extend charity. I think that this year I am now ready to take a bigger step and identify
CHARITY as the Self-improvement Theme for the Year.
To do this I will follow these 3 mini-goals:
  • Refer often to this talk by President Monson
  • Remember the lessons that I learned last year while working on developing temperance
  • Focus on this phrase from the above-mentioned talk: "Charity is having patience with someone who has let us down." I see this to mean every "someone", including myself when I stumble and slip (which I know will happen. I'm just hoping to make that a less-frequent occurrance).

While October and November of last year were rough (I had seriously considered leaving the Church), I am so grateful for the spiritual renewal I have felt as I worked my way through the dark, encircling mist. I am so grateful for a God who never leaves us and for the grace that He extends to us. Without his grace, I truly would not have made it through. I love my Heavenly Father and his son, Jesus Christ with all of my heart. I want to follow my Savior's example, not because of some promised eternal reward, but because I love Him and am deeply humbled by the love He extends to me. That gratitude for His sacrifice and love is now where I find my motivation to obey His commandments.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am proud to be your "papa"- always have been, always will be. But there are times like this when I am deeply touched by how special you truly are, and how grateful I am for our Heavenly Father's plan of eternal families. I wouldn't want it any other way
Dadio

Lindsey said...

Hey there! I am so sorry that you were hurt to the point of almost leaving the church. Believe it or not, I have had the same problems in the last few years. I had never considered leaving, but, I understand the kind of hurt that that is. I would love to know more if you want to chat. Maybe we could share. :)