Sunday, November 24, 2013

Perfectly Boring and Happy

I've struggled a bit with blogging lately. Mostly this is due because I have been trying to find new and fresh things to blog about. But yesterday I realized that it is hard to keep the blog new, fresh, and exciting when my life is actually perfectly boring. I mean my life is pretty much go to work Monday through Friday, pay bills, run errands, do laundry, cook dinners. Saturday is filled with not much of anything (although I really should do a better job of cleaning the house on Saturday's, but truth be told, cleaning is one of my least favorite things to do and I have a rather high clutter tolerance) and then Sunday is church.

My kids are almost grown and out of the house. They have learned to make wise decisions most of the time so I have no more "jelly bean up the nose" or "five-legged horse" stories to share. They have never created nor been involved in a lot of drama so I don't have stories to share about that. And frankly, I am grateful that we have managed to avoid friend drama because even though it might make for good blog stories, it would have been not awesome to go through. But there will be some new blog material as each child heads out on their own.  Katelyn will soon leave for her 18 months mission in Tempe, Arizona and I'll share her experiences on my blog. And Carson will be going to college somewhere so there might be a few stories to share about his college experience, but if he goes to NIC there may not be as many stories as if he were going somewhere far away.

I don't have any super exciting stories to share full of name-dropping. Although last Saturday I did have a chance to have a 15 minute one-on-one meeting with Senator Padden, a state senator representing our legislative district in Olympia. I did name drop in that meeting because one of my friend's sits on the Senator's education council and I would like an opportunity to be on that council when my friend steps down. That's about as exciting as it gets, folks.

Dave and I aren't super social. As I think back across the years of our marriage we never have been the kind of couple who would be out with other couples every weekend or taking trips together. We both have our individual friends that we do things with but we don't have any couple friends. Some of this is due to the self-imposed criteria that couples must meet in order to be couple friends. First, the age spread cannot be more than 5 years younger than us and no more than 10 years older. Second, it would be helpful if there child situation is similar to ours (almost grown, number of children isn't important). Third, the couple must be able to tolerate quirky, sometimes completely goofy character traits combined with some awkward social interactions due to failed delivery of intended message. Finally, similar interests are important so we have things to do together and talk about. There are some exemptions to the criteria, well one exemption really. Family members do not have meet the criteria in order for us to hang out. And really the kid thing isn't such a huge deal since Dave and I both enjoy children very much, but I have noticed that couples who have younger children are just busier with the kid things in life & tend to hang out with others who are involved in the same kid things.

As the realization of my boring reality came to me yesterday, I also realized that I am completely happy. I am happy that my children are happy. I am happy with the friends I do have and the social interactions I have with them. I am happy with the at-work social connections that I have. I am happy that my days are pretty much filled with the same things day in and day out. I am just plain happy. It is nice to finally feel content with perfectly boring.

No comments: