Monday, November 18, 2013

Grateful for Service

Carson has to write a persuasive essay about service. The article that he is using says that service is complicated. I'm not exactly sure what his own point of view is; however, if I had to base it off of his attitude while performing service I would say he is against it. He generally has a poor attitude during service projects, particularly if it involves manual labor or seems to interrupt something he would rather be doing. I mostly hear "this is dumb" and watch him do as little as possible. Maybe that is a typical teen-age boy attitude, but I wish he would rise above that typical stereotype.

I am grateful for the opportunity to serve. Through serving I am able to give back and express my thanks to my Heavenly Father, who has given me so much. Long, long ago He showed me how serving others can literally save a life--and it was my life He saved. I would like to share more, but I have tried to type the story up several different times and in several different ways and none of them seem quite right. Just know that there was a time when I was quite despondent on a particular day and on that day I spent my day losing myself in the service of others. Slowly the cloud of despair lifted and for that day, I was able steady myself and move forward.

I don't want to discount the very real illness of depression that often requires medical intervention to treat but for me, on that day, my despair was self-inflicted because of my inward, selfish focus. As I became focused on serving others and forgetting about myself I was able to find the light again. Finding the light saved my life; I had contemplated how to end it that very morning.

I am in much healthier place emotionally, but it took me several years to get here. And yes, there are still moments when I feel despondent and dark. But I have learned that along with a good long run and debriefing with my colleague (school counselor), serving others will help lift me out of the darkness. Selfish? Maybe if I was seeking out recognition for the service, but I don't. I just know that  Heavenly Father will bless me if I serve others.

I guess maybe the article Carson is referencing is right...service can be complicated, nevertheless I am grateful for the opportunities I have to serve others.

No comments: