Friday, November 15, 2013

My Current Favorite "Go-to" Crockpot Dinner

Crockpot Chicken Fajitas







So crockpot dinners are not usually a favorite with my family. They don't like how the vegetables turn mushy and sometimes the meat gets dry. However, I have made this dinner several times now and so far, no complaints. And a super bonus is that I can get another night's meal out of the leftovers.

I believe that I got the basics of the recipe off of something I saw on Facebook and then altered it to suit our tastes. Here is the recipe I currently use:

1/2 each red, yellow, and orange pepper, sliced
1/2 onion, sliced
1 can diced green chiles
4 chicken breasts
1 tbsp. chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tbsp. minced garlic
salt and pepper

Layer peppers on bottom of crock-pot then add onions. Place chicken on top of onions and peppers. Pour can of chiles on top of chicken. Sprinkle spices on top of all. Cover and cook on low for 5 hours. 30 minutes prior to serving, shred chicken in the pot and stir ingredients together.

*We don't actually use this as fajita filling; my family prefers to eat it over corn chips with sour cream, salsa and cheese.

And two nights later we will have this for dinner:

Fajita Rice Casserole
Use the left-overs from the crockpot fajitas. Add cooked rice, one can of black beans, and 1/2 cup sour cream. Saute 1/2 red pepper and add to mixture. Place all in a casserole dish, sprinkle shredded cheese over the top of casserole and bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.

No comments: