Sunday, October 6, 2013

20 Years ago on October 4th

My life changed forever once again on that day. It was the day I became a mother. It was the day that we welcomed Katelyn Brooke into our family of two and became a family of three. How is it even possible that 20 years have gone by?

Twenty?!

I remember a few specific things about Katelyn's day of birth. Those things are all things Katelyn has heard before...stories about sending Dave out to brush his teeth while I'm in labor, asking Dave not to scratch/rub my arm because he was pressing too hard, her getting stuck under my tailbone and breaking it. But I'm not sure she has heard what our first thoughts were as we looked down on our ghost-white new baby girl.

First, I was amazed at her beauty and her round little head. That head did not smoosh at all which is probably why my tailbone was broken during her delivery. She only had two small bruises where the doctor had placed the foreceps.

Second, once we made eye contact she smiled and melted my heart right then and there. She had her daddy's dimple and the bluest eyes ever. I remember being so excited to have a little girl and even though I had not been a girly-girl while I was growing up, I couldn't wait to do girl things with my daughter.

Finally, I remember how her dad looked down on her as I held her in my arms. He was already a good man when I married him, but he changed that day. In an instant he now had two girls to love and his selfless nature was enhanced. He has spent the last 20 years doing everything in his power to show his two girls how much he loves them.

It is such a cliche` to say, but 20 years really has gone by in a blink of an eye. It seems that it was just yesterday as I gazed down on our new baby girl and wondered what the world had in store for her. We are pleased with the young lady she has grown into. We are looking forward to seeing her learn and grow as she is on her mission. And we are looking forward to the day, when she too, will be gazing down at her own new daughter.

1 comment:

mom said...

I remember that Dave was so frustrated that he could do so little to help you or make you feel better during labor but as soon as he saw Katelyn he fell instantly in love with her. He was so proud of his two girls-