Friday, October 18, 2013

Folding Laundry Made Me Misty-eyed

Folding laundry is the pits. It is one of those jobs that you repeat over and over only for it to be completely undone shortly thereafter. It is also a thankless job as no one ever says "Thanks mom (or wife) for making sure I have clean clothes and because you folded them so nicely I have mostly unwrinkled clothes to wear." Washing clothes and folding them is one of those tasks that I  have tried to go on strike about, but um, it hasn't worked out so well during those times. So once a week I begrudgingly spend one evening washing and folding all of the clothing that makes it down to the laundry room.

The latest installment of laundry took me an evening and next morning to get it all done. I was folding laundry in the morning after my run, carefully watching the clock so I could make sure to wake Carson up on time, and out of the blue I got all misty-eyed as I was folding. It was probably because I was carefully folding up one of Carson's shirts, placing it gently in his laundry cube and coming to the realization that no too far into the future I won't have as much laundry to wash and fold.

And that realization caused me to think about other things that I soon won't have to do...no more early-morning wake-up calls to Carson, no more making of M-F school lunches, no more making muffins at least every other week. It is so weird to think about having both kids gone...Katelyn reports to the MTC on February 12th; Carson graduates in June.

Go figure, misty-eyed over realizing my laundry loads will be cut in more than half in just a few months time. Most people would probably be jumping for joy.

No comments: