Monday, September 30, 2013

So, She's Going on a Mission

Katelyn received her mission call Friday. As excited as she was to open it, she also wanted to have family & friends with her when she opened it and that wasn't going to happen until last night. So promptly at 7 p.m. last night, she opened her letter and read these words:

Dear Sister Graham:

You are hereby called to serve as a missionary of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. You are assigned to labor in the Arizona Tempe Mission.

...

She reports to the Provo Missionary Training Center on February 12th. She thinks that sounds like forever away, but I know that it isn't far away at all. The time will pass quickly. I'm sure of it.

When people ask me how I feel about Katelyn serving a mission, I tell them I'm glad for her to have this opportunity. I share with them my hopes for Katelyn while she is out. I hope she learns how to be organized; how to be accountable and work hard; and how to be on a "wake-up before 10 a.m." schedule. I hope that if she can accomplish these three things, those skills will translate to school and post-mission life. I also hope that her testimony is deepened of Jesus Christ and his Atonement is deepened. I want this to be a learning experience for her, and yes, I realize that learning is often accomplished through trials. I don't want the trials to be defeating, but I do want Katelyn to learn to lean on the Lord daily. As she does this, she will be able to testify of the Lord's love for us and that all things are possible through Christ, who strengthens us.

I love the Lord. I love Katelyn. I am so happy for her to have this 18-month experience to develop a close, personal relationship with the Lord. I hope she takes full advantage of what has been offered her. I know that if she trusts the Lord, turns to Him at all times, all will be well.

Faith not fear.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Speaking from some personal experience: She will most likely learn to work on a get up before 10 schedule, though reverting to previous scheduling upon returning home is almost guaranteed. She may or may not learn to be organized, I certainly did not. She will grow, it's an unavoidable part of the experience. The thing that is without a doubt most important is that she increases in testimony and faith. Knowing Kate, she will do that. We're very excited for her!

Nate

Andrea said...

Super excited for her too!!! We'll have to "Wights" out at the same time :)
Also, how fun is it that she'll just be a few minutes from us!?!