Tuesday, July 30, 2013

A Birth Story from 17 Years Ago

My boy is 17 years old today.

It doesn't seem possible that 17 years have already gone by (I'm trying not to think about his sister being 20! in October.)

It's funny how I can recall much of what happened 17 years ago today, but often times have difficulty remembering what I did just a week ago.

17 years ago today, it was hot. Well, hot for Aberdeen. Katelyn and I started the morning with the usual breakfast of cereal and juice. Looking for some relief from the heat, we went to story-time at the library. Grandma Whiting accompanied us to story-time.

I can't remember exactly what we did about lunch, but it might have been a McDonald's lunch. Then Katelyn and I headed back home and settled down for an afternoon nap. Once up from our nap, we just had a quiet time at home, watched TV, and waited for Dave to get home from work.

We had a simple dinner when Dave got home from work. Then Dave decided it had cooled down enough that he could mow the lawn. As Dave headed out to mow the lawn, I felt the first twinges of contractions. Since the previous day had been filled with Braxton Hicks, and I had just seen the doctor who said there wasn't much progress towards delivery, I didn't think much of the twinges.

Kate and I played and watched TV while Dave did yard work. I wandered out once to let Dave know that I was having some contractions, but they weren't any big deal. But eventually, the contractions became strong enough and regular enough that I decided we should head to the hospital.

It was about 8:30 p.m. when we called Uncle Dan to come and watch Kate.

We arrived at the hospital and got all checked in and settled in our room. I asked about getting an epidural (I went natural with Kate and decided that I wanted drugs with this delivery). The nurse checked me and said "Oh honey, you don't have time for that. You are almost complete."

 Because Dave and I hadn't really agreed on a name before we arrived at the hospital, I asked Dave in between contractions if we could please name this little person "Carson" if the baby was a boy. Yes, I did take complete advantage of the situation, knowing full well there was zero chance of Dave saying "no" while watching me suffer through the contractions.

Well bing, bang, boom and 4 pushes later we had our handsome little Carson. Grandpa and Grandma Whiting were there to watch the delivery. Dave was able to cut the cord. And I got to hold Carson right away. He melted my heart.

He may know exactly how to push my buttons, but he still melts my heart.

Happy birthday my boy.

No comments: