Sunday, July 28, 2013

Rules to Live By

Yesterday I attended a memorial for an outstanding young man. I first met him when he was in elementary school. I  got to know him a little better when he was in middle school and served as an office TA during his 8th grade year. He was a kind, considerate, polite, and always-smiling young man. Even when I would see him at the high school, he would greet me by name.

His life ended just as he was getting ready to go on to do great things. And Jansen was destined for greatness. But as one of the speaker's at his memorial noted, as he looked at the great throng of people amassed in the CV high school gym to honor Jansen, perhaps Jansen had already accomplished many great and wonderful things.

As I thought about that statement, I knew it was true. Jansen, in the time I knew him, was wise beyond his years. He was authentic and real as he interacted with others around him. He had 5 rules that he lived by and he live by them he did. His 5 rules were:
  • Smile no matter what you are doing
  • Family comes first
  • Know that God has a plan
  • Put others before yourself
  • Be courageous (I think this was the last rule, but I can't remember it exactly)
Not often do you find a young person who lives life so selflessly, but Jansen did. And he did it with his whole heart and a smile on his face.

Jansen, thank you for blessing my life. Thank you for the rules you lived by. Your life touched so many and we will all try to carry forward your torch.

No comments: