Monday, July 15, 2013

Busted!

I have a secret. I thought it was a well-kept secret until the other day. Carson was putting dishes away in the cupboard when he says, "Geez, Mom. How much chocolate do you have hidden around the house?" I played like I didn't exactly hear him and gave a vague, evading answer.

I was surprised that he found the new hiding place because it is in the way back of a cupboard and you have to squat down to find it. I thought for sure this hiding place would stay hidden for longer than it did. And by the tone in his voice when he has the question, I think he has known about the hidden stash for some time now. But good on him for not eating the chocolate. The chocolate is mostly safe from other family members' consumption because my preferred chocolate is dark chocolate and the others don't particularly like dark.

So if the others don't like dark chocolate as much as I do, why did I start hiding it in the first place? Because I am a selfish, selfish mom and I didn't want to share. Actually I would share if asked, but there is one particular boy in the family with a bigger sweet tooth than mine, and he would partake of the yumminess without asking. In an effort to remove temptation from the house, sweets/treats were banned, but then my colleagues celebrated my July birthday in May and gave me a haul of dark chocolate. I kept it at work until the end of school, but then I had to bring it home. Hence, the beginning of the secret stash.

Again, props to the sweet-tooth boy; he has left the stash alone since discovering it. And now I'm free to eat it without feeling like a total sneak and chocolate addict, which I probably am if I'm being honest. I do love to have one square of dark chocolate a day and sometimes my day doesn't feel complete until I have that square (or if in total desperation, a small handful of chocolate chips.)

Oh, and the answer to his question, I only have the one stash. Yes, there are 3 dark chocolate bars in the stash, and a bag of dark chocolate-covered blueberries, but there is only one stash.

2 comments:

mom said...

You come from a long line of chocolate hoarding/hiding women....

Maggie said...

That's very funny because Dan hides his treats from the kids. It isn't often and it isn't a lot of candy, but it is always hidden.