Tuesday, July 2, 2013

It's July

Today is July 2nd. My birthday is tomorrow, but I'm celebrating today. Tomorrow is Carson's surgery so I will be spend tomorrow taking care of my boy. Actually, I can't think of a better way to spend my birthday...the focus not on me. I really prefer just a small acknowledgement of my birthday (a card, a "Happy Birthday" on Facebook, or a text), but after that I prefer the day to be just another day or a day focusing on someone else's needs.

The weather has been toasty the last few days. It's been lovely. I usually worry when the weather gets too warm because my running and biking really suffer; however, since starting my thyroid medication I haven't been too bothered by the heat while working out. Matter of fact, this morning I was able to do a brick workout (bike ride followed by a run) without any difficulty and the temperature was 73 degrees. That is such a change from the last couple of years. Prior to the medication if the temperature was much above 65 degrees my body overheat quickly and then start shutting down. It was not good. So I am so grateful for the medication that has shut down my overactive thyroid nodule. I am hoping that the medication has shrunk the nodule and I won't have further problems when I eventually have to go off of my medication (it is my understanding that the medication I am taking isn't really great for long-term management).

I'm watching the Tour de France. Hard to believe that a year ago we were there watching it in person. That was seriously the one of the best experiences of my life. I enjoyed it so much. I love travelling with my family. I'm looking forward to our upcoming trip to Charleston. I  can't wait to take in all of the history, the ocean, the scenery. People tell me how amazing the food is, and I'm sure it is, but eating is such a bother for me due to my food allergies, I hope I can enjoy all the rich food the area has to offer.

Speaking of travel, I leave on Friday for Rexburg to see Katelyn and run in the Color Run with her. I'm ready for the run. I'm not so sure about Katelyn and her friend. No worries though. These types of events are just about having fun, so if we run, jog, walk or crawl (did you know I once ran a race where I just about crawled? It's true. It was in high school and I was running the 300 hurdles. Well, I would run to each hurdle and then crawl climb over it. It was pathetic)...as I was saying, no matter what we do in this event, we are going to have fun doing it and not worry about running the whole way.

I think July is going to be a good month.

1 comment:

Maggie said...

You sound just like Dan. No fan fair. Ever. He has been reminding all of us that tomorrow is your birthday so happy birthday tomorrow.