Tuesday, August 13, 2013

It's Good to Have a Plan

I having been planning my retirement since the first day I was hired as a school nurse. I have planned on retiring after 20 or 25 years of service, or somewhere between age 55 and 60. That plan means that I have to have some sort-of plan for income beyond my pension for a few years.

Several years ago I decided that working as a nurse at the Yellowstone health clinic during the summer would be a great way to spend my retirement years. I love Yellowstone. Dave loves Yellowstone and he would happily follow. He could fish to his heart's content, maybe even get a job as a guide. I figured if the nurse thing didn't work out, then I would be just as happy being a park ranger or helper in one of the many gift shops and Dave could just keep fishing.

So as awesome as that plan is for summer, it just wouldn't work for winter. I don't love being freezing cold and Yellowstone is definitely freezing cold in the winter. Also, I'm not sure how much work is available in the winter. Obviously, I needed a plan for the winter months. I wasn't keen on spending winters at home in Spokane if I could help it, but Dave and I couldn't come up with a winter place that we could both agree on. Until this past week.

Enter Charleston, South Carolina.

After spending a week there, we both decided that this place could be our winter retirement plan. I want to work as a tour guide at Boone Hall Plantation.
I would get to wear period costume, talk about history of a very old house, and be warm. Dave could fish.

The next few posts will share sights and memories from last week's family vacation.

1 comment:

mom said...

You are your father's daughter - we did an afternoon in Yellowstone & HE decided that he could be a Yellowstone ranger - he, however is a lot closer to that decision than you.....