Friday, December 7, 2012

A Little Bit of Venting

I am restless and crabby. I want it to start feeling like Christmas around here, well at least around our house. I didn't realize how much decorating for Christmas helped set the mood for the season. I miss not being able to decorate. I was expressing this disappointment to Dave last night as we were driving home from the wrestling match and seeing all the neighborhood houses decorated. Then Carson pipes up from the back seat and says, "It's all frivolous any way. Sure it looks nice, but it's not necessary." Excuse me? This from the boy who is meticulous as he sets up the Precious Moments Sugar Town collection? Then I realized the words "frivolous" and "not necessary" were almost the exact words that were uttered by the one brother on Duck Dynasty. You are so grounded from watching the show any more, Carson.

Moving on. I'm still irritated about the RS from Sunday. Yes, it's Friday and I'm still ruminating on the message that was shared. Now, I think the teacher is a very nice, compassionate lady but her lesson really rubbed me the wrong way. I left RS far from feeling uplifted. I left feeling like I must be the most selfish and worst wife ever. The message was about becoming one in marriage. All I heard was that to be one in marriage you must give up all outside interests if they take time away from the family; you must never take your children to visit their grandparents if your spouse can't come; you shouldn't hang out with friends; TV and movies are things that should be left behind. One of the things that I appreciate most about Dave is that he understands the importance of each of us participating in individual interests. Yes, we do try to do some of those things together but sometimes what we are interested in the other is not. And since the men were not hearing the same lesson on Sunday it just felt like another lesson on submitting to male authority and the only way to become one in marriage is for the woman to give up everything that makes her an individual. I left feeling like somehow marriage must be some sort of "Borg" collective. Yuck.

Switching gears. Sometimes I think I should go to law school and the specializes in 504 law. Then I could work as a parent advocate or do trainings for school administrators. I think sometimes admininstrators just wish this law would go away since it is an unfunded mandate. Irritating that sometimes parents have to jump through so many hoops and see their kids fail before the school will write a 504 plan. Irritating I tell you.

One last thing. Katelyn had a boyfriend. Earlier this week she had to change her status on Facebook to "single". She was sad and didn't want to talk about it so she didn't call home. I found myself irritated at the guy for breaking up with her. Not often do I have the "mama bear" reaction to things but in the case I did which is weird because Dave and I both felt like he was too old for her. But I guess no one likes to see their kids hurting. And since this was Katelyn's first boyfriend I think the break up hurt a little worse.

Dave is supposed to be putting in our new hardwood floors this weekend. I hope he is able to get them in. I need to get the Christmas decorations up. I'm hoping with that my mood will be lifted and I'll feel more settled.

6 comments:

Mom said...

I see the flip side of your irritating lesson - young women (and young men 20 somethings)who are so absorbed in thier own interests and pursuits, whether school or career, that they purposely keep from dating because it is a distraction. Around 30,
many of them wonder why they "missed" marriage opportunities. One, a counseling grad student, said she had invested too much in her education to worry about making time for dating or serivce, etc. I knew that I would have been too competitive with your father if I stayed in school - whose class was more important, who should give up time for "home stuff". I chose to step aside, and for someone who received parental recogniton only for academics, that was a huge step. You are the most immediate result of that choice. It shouldn't be about "erasing" individuality but rather making the marriage itself at least as important as the husband or wife. A marriage requires caretaking of its own. Sometimes that message gets lost in translation. Usually when lessons chafe, it's because they cause us to examine things we prefer to leave unexamined.
PS At one time you wanted to be a lawyer but then you decided you didn't like writing and preferred science.

Anonymous said...

If it is bothering you that much maybe you should call the teacher and talk to her and see if you received the message she was trying to give. Give her the benefit of your views and concerns about how and what she presented. Maybe there needs to be a follow-up of that lesson if others are feeling the same way. Just a thought. Sue

Andrea said...

I'm sorry Katelynn is having to go through a breakup. They are hard anyways, but I remember my first breakup...and they are hard. My first college breakup was worse.

I hope she knows how blessed she is to have you as her momma bear. :) love you cousin!

Andrea

Lindsey said...

Hilarious! Who gave that lesson!?!?!? You have to message me!

jessica said...

I just got put in as the Laurel advisor in my new ward. I am so glad! I am not good in RS. My hand is in the air way too much trying to get the lessons back on track. I would have felt the same way as you if I had been in that lesson. And decorations are huge for me! We put up the trees and decorations before we were even unpacked...oh and blogger is giving me and another friend of mine the same stupid message. What the heck is going on?!

Katelyn said...

He didn't break up with me, I felt prompted to break up with him.